Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Anyone have a career in compsci?
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Rickkwa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:36 pm   Post subject: Anyone have a career in compsci?

I'm studying at the University of Toronto. And for a project, I need to do some research about possible compsci careers through people who have actual experience in those careers.
So if you can please help me, these are the questions:

1. What is your name and some contact information?
2. What is your job/career?
3. What are the duties/responsibilities of your job?
3. What do you like most/least about your work?
4. What do you thinka re the most important qualities/skills to be successful in this field
5. What advice would you give to people who want to be in the same career?
6. What is a typical week for you?
7. What kind of education, training, or background is required for this job?
8. Can you suggest some ways a student could obtain this necessary experience?
9. What is the most time consuming part of your job?
10. How would you describe your work atmosphere?
11. Any other remarks you would like to mention?

You can post here or if you prefer, email me at 162rickyk@gmail.com

Thank you for your time, and I would really appreciate it if you can reply.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:46 pm   Post subject: RE:Anyone have a career in compsci?

This kind of thing has been asked before a few times, might be worth looking at thoes posts:

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=24437

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=23107

http://compsci.ca/v3/viewtopic.php?t=21191

Does grad student count as a job?
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:25 am   Post subject: RE:Anyone have a career in compsci?

If your reimbursed for work you do it's a job. Don't know if it's possible to make your career being a grad student (I imagine at some point you'd have to become a professor) but it's definitely a job for sure.

You know how they always talk about how in 5 years (the amount of time it could take getting a degree) the job market could be completely different, I think it'd be interesting for computer science. Already technology is everywhere, and they are possibly phasing out workers (ie self-checkout machines. Don't think it'll ever completely replace human workers, but it may actually cut down on the amount of employees)
Kristenastewart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:08 am   Post subject: Re: Anyone have a career in compsci?

There still seems to be a lot of misinformation about the outsourcing of technical jobs. Strictly speaking, yes, some jobs are either moved or created in India, China, or a number of other places with people and relevant skills. At this point a distinction should be made between ?moved? and ?created? ? both India and China are huge and rapid growing markets, and a lot of international companies want to expand and set up shop in those locations. Such activities create _new_ jobs, but I feel that some people lump it all together with the dreaded ?moved? (true outsource) jobs when they see sensationalist headlines in newspapers.
QuantumPhysics

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:30 am   Post subject: RE:Anyone have a career in compsci?

Btiffin has a job, he is so cool and has the most awesome job ever!
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: