Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Co-op sequence for Compsci at Waterloo
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Snario

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:55 pm   Post subject: Co-op sequence for Compsci at Waterloo

Just looking for opinions here, of the four (a,b,c,d) listed here, which do you think is the "best"? Any other opinions are all welcome, I just want to get an idea because I haven't heard any stories about any sequence and don't know how I'll feel when this decision becomes important.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:24 am   Post subject: RE:Co-op sequence for Compsci at Waterloo

On the high level, the important points is that Spring terms tend to be more competitive for jobs (as non-coop students also have that time available to work).

Personally, I've really enjoyed alternating school and work every 4 months. As such, consecutive school-school or work-work sequences would mess up the "routine" of alteration. (At the end of 4 months, I found the change very refreshing, every time)

Sequence A is the closest to the classic sequence of the years past (mine was 1A * 1B * 2A * ... * 4B; that's right, first co-op only after 1 term of school). The rest seem like various permutations of "new students are not really ready to work yet" mentality. I could be wrong on the reasoning here though.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:41 am   Post subject: RE:Co-op sequence for Compsci at Waterloo

I know my work is desperately trying to get some students for the fall term, and they are having a very hard time, and I know for the winter term they will have similar difficulties.
Snario

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:48 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Co-op sequence for Compsci at Waterloo

Tony @ Wed Aug 22, 2012 3:24 am wrote:
On the high level, the important points is that Spring terms tend to be more competitive for jobs (as non-coop students also have that time available to work).

Personally, I've really enjoyed alternating school and work every 4 months. As such, consecutive school-school or work-work sequences would mess up the "routine" of alteration. (At the end of 4 months, I found the change very refreshing, every time)

Sequence A is the closest to the classic sequence of the years past (mine was 1A * 1B * 2A * ... * 4B; that's right, first co-op only after 1 term of school). The rest seem like various permutations of "new students are not really ready to work yet" mentality. I could be wrong on the reasoning here though.

So do you think sequence 'C' is the best option then? First work term after I have much more experience, alternating after first year, and first work term in winter? Before my mentality was that it would be nice to mimic the sequences that I've had for real school (school during fall and winter, break during spring) but you raise a good point.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:19 am   Post subject: RE:Co-op sequence for Compsci at Waterloo

If you don't mind being in school while others work it's probably best to get one where your work terms are all fall/winter.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: