Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Registering for CompSci. this Sep./12 Acadia.
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Angushiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:35 pm   Post subject: Registering for CompSci. this Sep./12 Acadia.

I will try to for my degree in this field of study, it definitely will be harder for me to accomplish the degree. I am 62 years of age, fortunately money is of no problem for me.
I retired from the air force as an electronic technician. I went back to NSCC and passed my computer technician course of 2 years. And started to build, and repair desktops, laptops, gamers, and tweaking Xboxs. I am really doing this for interest and a super challenge. Maybe I am taking more than I can handle>>

Angushiro
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
y4y

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Registering for CompSci. this Sep./12 Acadia.

is this a troll? first there was the 9 year old and now the 62 year old?

can you check poster's IP tony?

Initially i believed this thread but became skeptical. this is not nearly as believable as the 9 years old if this is real the computer science is just becoming too popular lol.

I have to say though this thread's content and the way it was written seems quite realistic.

If this is serious then go ahead angushiro. I would personally never do it at that age but i'm not you. You are already a vetren electrician so I don't know why you are going to university again at this age when you could learn on your own in the comfort of your home.
Amarylis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:31 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Registering for CompSci. this Sep./12 Acadia.

y4y @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:11 pm wrote:
computer science is just becoming too popular

Oh no, CompSci is now mainstream, whatever shall the hipsters do?!
y4y

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:22 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Registering for CompSci. this Sep./12 Acadia.

Amarylis @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:31 pm wrote:
y4y @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:11 pm wrote:
computer science is just becoming too popular

Oh no, CompSci is now mainstream, whatever shall the hipsters do?!

I don't know or care if you are implying I'm a hipster.
my problem is I don't want to work in an overpopulated field.
I love computer science and want it to be my career but knowing its becoming increasingly popular isn't very reassuring.
I recently read about how it gets harder to find jobs in computer science as you get older ( don't know how true this is but some valid points were made in it), knowing there will be a lot of newly graduates ready to take over my job isn't very promising. I'd rather see lack of interest in the field than popularity.

yes i know skilled people will always get the job an experience is a good thing but there are other factors....
Aange10

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:38 pm   Post subject: RE:Registering for CompSci. this Sep./12 Acadia.

Heh, how can you read an article telling you about how the future works as you age?

Dismissing that point; having a popular job doesn't mean that undergrads will be replacing you. It kind of means the opposite - there will be enough demand for your expertise that you wont lose your job to more qualified individuals.
Amarylis

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:26 pm   Post subject: RE:Registering for CompSci. this Sep./12 Acadia.

@y4y
I'm sorry if you took it that my post was in any way aimed towards your person, I was just trying to make a general joke Razz

I'm on the same boat as you in terms of, I really love this area, and I too am nervous about the job market being overpopulated.

Though Aange also makes a good point in the matter
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:56 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Registering for CompSci. this Sep./12 Acadia.

Amarylis @ Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:26 pm wrote:
and I too am nervous about the job market being overpopulated.

Are you guys kidding me? Amazon has ~1500 open positions in its Software Development category http://www.amazon.com/gp/jobs/ref=j_sq_btn?category=Software+Development that we have trouble filling. The current state of the industry is that it's really really difficult to find people to hire, even when offered stupid-large amounts of money.

To be fair, the industry is overpopulated by the kinds of people who hit a skills ceiling at copy-pasting some Excel macros together, lured by the promise of "F U money" http://dilbert.com/fast/2010-07-15/ That's not going to happen. The moment you break that barrier and can actually write some new code yourself (and know why or why not that code is any good), it's basically guaranteed employment.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:12 am   Post subject: RE:Registering for CompSci. this Sep./12 Acadia.

@Tony: That's what my boss said recently too. And yet, it took me over a month to find an employer willing to look past "hasn't graduated yet" long enough to look at my resume.

Admittedly, I also had requirements about type of job (programming, preferably a language I know) and location (had to be Toronto).

The job market looks bleak from both sides, for no reason I can understand.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:34 am   Post subject: RE:Registering for CompSci. this Sep./12 Acadia.

@DemonWasp -- naturally it's a much smaller pool you're playing in, once you start restricting yourself to technology and specifically geography. Toronto is a bit of a challenge, as it has something like 10 Universities within a couple of hours' drive (I made a map a few years ago -- http://compsci.ca/blog/geographic-distribution-of-universities-in-canada/ ) and a bulk of students insist on being specifically in Toronto for work.

Still, there are _many_ companies hiring, it just gets somewhat "long-tail" once you get past the obvious employers. Try to find someone from UW with access to JobMine, and have them look up a list of companies hiring (UW career services would flip out over such suggestions, but hey... I already have my degree).
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Angushiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:06 am   Post subject: RE:Registering for CompSci. this Sep./12 Acadia.

Thank you for all your replies. No my point is to complete this challenge at my age, and my passion to learn. I certainly will not be in any competition for employment. To be able to learn more in depth of a field that you have a enormous amount of interest for. I certainly do not need a job, for I am fortunate that I do not have to work. I only register for this site knowing if I do need help I possibly may have assistance from many experts within the field.
Thanks you for all your comments.
Angushiro
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: