Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Someone review my rig build please!
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
rdrake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:50 am   Post subject: Re: Someone review my rig build please!

Srsly, as a boot drive: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1088&item_id=037112.

I use this for a CPU cooler, it's a lot quieter than the stock one: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6603. Of course you can build the PC, then upgrade the cooler later if it becomes too noisy. Just make sure your case fits the damn thing.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ecookman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:57 am   Post subject: RE:Someone review my rig build please!

LOL yeah That was a poor typo, I do realize that most of the time they are useless.
950-40=900? lol wut?
Getting use to working midnight shift is hard.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:43 pm   Post subject: RE:Someone review my rig build please!

Do consider the SSD for a boot drive though, I'm considering buying an SSD right now because of how slow my HDD is (7200 rpm hybrid drive. One of the fastest HDD's out there, but still slow as heck)
ecookman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Someone review my rig build please!

Will do. Thanks!
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:02 pm   Post subject: Re: Someone review my rig build please!

rdrake @ 2012-06-05, 10:50 am wrote:
Srsly, as a boot drive: http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1088&item_id=037112.

I use this for a CPU cooler, it's a lot quieter than the stock one: http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6603. Of course you can build the PC, then upgrade the cooler later if it becomes too noisy. Just make sure your case fits the damn thing.

Wowow! If you don't get that SSD, you're doing things wrong. I got that for $130 a month ago, and it was totally worth it. It's easily one of the best SSDs on the market right now... For $90, I might just go out and get another. On second thought, probably not since SSD prices are still dropping rapidly - but if you're buying now, the only way to go is the Vertex 3. Unfortunately it seems like the rebate ends today, but keep your eye on it.

The cooler rdrake linked to is also one of the more dependable ones in the under $40 price range.
rdrake

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:42 pm   Post subject: RE:Someone review my rig build please!

I picked up the same SSD for about the same price as you, Gandalf, around Boxing Day. It loads Skyrim and BF3 in seconds.
ecookman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:03 am   Post subject: RE:Someone review my rig build please!

Will do, I think I'm going to order up the parts later on this week or next, just seeing If I can pick up reliable Saturday overtime hours at Honda. try to counterbalance the cost lol
mirhagk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:43 am   Post subject: RE:Someone review my rig build please!

So I want to go buy an SSD tonight at canada computers, and I like the forementioned Vertex 3, but what about the Vertex 4
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1088&item_id=047457 Right now it's the same price (well $10 cheaper because it's not a mail in rebate) but I'm confused because it looks worse somehow? Can someone clear this up, or suggest a better SSD at about that price range for me?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:07 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Someone review my rig build please!

mirhagk @ 2012-06-06, 9:43 am wrote:
So I want to go buy an SSD tonight at canada computers, and I like the forementioned Vertex 3, but what about the Vertex 4
http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=179_1088&item_id=047457 Right now it's the same price (well $10 cheaper because it's not a mail in rebate) but I'm confused because it looks worse somehow? Can someone clear this up, or suggest a better SSD at about that price range for me?

The Vertex 4 has significantly higher IOPS but lower sequential write speeds. What this means is that the Vertex 3 is about 2/3 as fast when working with lots of small files (a fairly common scenario), and a bit faster when it comes to writing large sequential files (not too common, and in those situations it'll finish so quickly you won't even notice the difference). However while better specs are nice, they're not the most important at this point... What really matters is the firmware, which controls things such as wear leveling (directly affects the lifespan of your SSD), compression (can increase throughput), caching, error detection, etc. Bad controllers have been known to cause BSODs, performance degradation after use, and complete failures. Good memory controllers increase the endurance of your drive by making good use of unused space, and generally increase performance and reliability. The Vertex 3's controller, after recent firmware updates, is stable. On the other hand the Vertex 4, while a pretty good performer (without even depending on compression!), uses a different memory controller with younger firmware that might still be unreliable. Since your SSD will be blazingly fast anyway, and you want to keep it around for a few years, go with the Vertex 3, although the Vertex 4 wouldn't be a bad choice either.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:03 am   Post subject: RE:Someone review my rig build please!

Alright, I heard the corsair M4 was really reliable and that the vertex 4 was using the same system, I dunno. Speed at this point doesn't matter, so I wanna go with the most reliable.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 25 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: