Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 UW or UTSG for CS?
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
OnlyDreamsNow

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:14 pm   Post subject: UW or UTSG for CS?

I know this has probably been asked here many times, but I myself still need to hear it from others. I can't chose between the two schools. I would rather live in toronto and go to UTSG, but everyone keeps telling me to go to Waterloo because it's better, mainly because of coop. I've always seen myself at UTSG, but others have me doubting myself now. What do?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:52 am   Post subject: RE:UW or UTSG for CS?

Where in Toronto would you live and why?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 2:58 am   Post subject: RE:UW or UTSG for CS?

If you've done the research and visited both campuses, don't let people's opinions weigh heavily on you and just follow your heart. If you would rather live in Toronto, for all it's implications, then sounds like you've decided on probably the most important part. You get pretty darn spiffy opportunities at both universities, so don't worry about that.
crossley7

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 6:31 am   Post subject: RE:UW or UTSG for CS?

Both programs are just as strong. The main reason to go to Waterloo would be if you preferred their co-op style to the PEY. Otherwise, it sounds like you would prefer STSG for most everything else.

I made the same choice this year and choosing based on the campus where I feel I would fit in better as the programs will get you generally the same places
OnlyDreamsNow

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:47 am   Post subject: Re: RE:UW or UTSG for CS?

Tony @ Sun May 13, 2012 1:52 am wrote:
Where in Toronto would you live and why?

first year at woodsworth college residence, and after that probably rent an apartment with friends or my sister. I would just rather live there than anywhere else...it appeals to me more and is where I see myself. i like the campus too, a lot more than waterloo.
OnlyDreamsNow

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 11:50 am   Post subject: Re: RE:UW or UTSG for CS?

[quote="[Gandalf] @ Sun May 13, 2012 2:58 am"]If you've done the research and visited both campuses, don't let people's opinions weigh heavily on you and just follow your heart. If you would rather live in Toronto, for all it's implications, then sounds like you've decided on probably the most important part. You get pretty darn spiffy opportunities at both universities, so don't worry about that.[/quote]

I know I shouldn't, but it still makes me second guess myself when people say things like if I go to UTSG CS i'll end up working for someone who went to waterloo, all the UW grads work at google, facebook, there is no one in silicon valley who went to toronto, etc etc.
Tony

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 4:28 pm   Post subject: RE:UW or UTSG for CS?

Do you even want to go to S.F. Bay? I found that UW grads were simply more willing to move (there are still plenty of UofT grads... at least here in Seattle).
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
OnlyDreamsNow

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 5:34 pm   Post subject: RE:UW or UTSG for CS?

I would rather live in a place like Chicago, Toronto, or NYC, but I wouldn't mind living in california either. I am pretty much completely willing to relocate once I graduate.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:38 am   Post subject: RE:UW or UTSG for CS?

Sounds like you'll do just fine at UofT. My LinkedIn search for "google" and filtered by schools returns 282 UW, 121 UofT; UW entries are likely full of co-op students, so Toronto is not actually that far off for grads ending up at Google -- it _is_ a good school choice.

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: