Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Integrated Graphics + high ram vs Dedicated Graphics + low ram
Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
copthesaint

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:19 pm   Post subject: Integrated Graphics + high ram vs Dedicated Graphics + low ram

Im trying to decide what to get for a new laptop. I've done alot of searching and its come down to two ASUS computers.

The first computer has:
Cost: 714.99
Memory: DDR3 8GB Ram
Processor: Intel Core i7 2620M 2.7GHz (4 physical cores)
Drive type: HDD 5400 RPM Sad
UMA Integrated Graphics (On Board Graphics) Sad
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Integrated Audio

The second computer has:
Cost: 829.99
Memory: DDR3 8GB Ram
Processor Intel Core i7 2670QM 2.2GHz (4 physical cores)
Drive type : HDD 5400 RPM Sad
NVIDIA GeForce GT 610M 2GB VRAM (video Ram)
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit
Integrated Audio

I like the first one because of its cheaper cost and better processor, but Im worried I wont be able to game on it. I pre-ordered Diablo 3 in December and I want to be able to play on high graphics like I would be able to on the second computer. The one thing I liked was with the first computer is it would leave me money to spend some extra money and get a ssd 3rd gen drive.

So my question is *since I dont know very much about hardware* will I be able to play newer games like D III on the first laptop?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Senecide

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:54 pm   Post subject: Re: Integrated Graphics + high ram vs Dedicated Graphics + low ram

In general, dedicated graphics are better than integrated graphics. I would personally get the one that is dedicated if I planned on playing games. Not that integrated graphics can't play any games, but they are often made for basic general use. So to answer your question, you probably won't be satistifed with the integrated graphics in terms of high quality graphics from newer games.
rdrake

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:03 pm   Post subject: RE:Integrated Graphics + high ram vs Dedicated Graphics + low ram

A better question is why do you want to play 3D video games on a laptop?

Doing so increases bulk, price, and worst of all, heat.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:18 pm   Post subject: RE:Integrated Graphics + high ram vs Dedicated Graphics + low ram

Exactly. Desktops are much better for that. but if you really insist... the second one. I guess on board cards are probably better these days, but it still will probably limit you to low quality graphics in games.
Zren

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:48 pm   Post subject: RE:Integrated Graphics + high ram vs Dedicated Graphics + low ram

http://us.battle.net/support/en/article/diablo-iii-system-requirements

Quote:
Processor: Intel Core i7 2620M 2.7GHz (4 physical cores)

Are you sure about that?
[url]http://ark.intel.com/products/52231/Intel-Core-i7-2620M-Processor-(4M-Cache-up-to-3_40-GHz)[/url]
copthesaint

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:49 pm   Post subject: RE:Integrated Graphics + high ram vs Dedicated Graphics + low ram

I was either going to get a desktop or a laptop for school, and I cant take a desktop computer with me, as awsome as that would be XD. So I have to go with a laptop.

@rdrake I understand, I dont want to use it for the "3D" Video games although NVIDIA Supports it I guess. I want to use it for some games like diablo 3, for example Razz

@Zren I am worried about the itegrated graphics card on board, would it play diablo 3 high quality, I dont know if the on board graphics would support things like Anti aliasing and the shadows ect. Dammit... They didnt specify 4 cores on it, I thought all i7's had 4 cores, Thanks Im getting the more expensive laptop.
+1 karma for saving me money if I made the wrong choice! Razz
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Integrated Graphics + high ram vs Dedicated Graphics + low ram

Integrated graphics is never good for games. Diablo III has fairly low requirements for a new game, but I still wouldn't sacrifice the discrete graphics card. Intel's integrated graphics have improved, but they're far behind AMD's fusion stuff, and even fusion isn't that good for games...

What I would do if I were you is get an i3 or i5 laptop with a decent dedicated GPU and however much RAM you want. It'll be cheaper and your gaming performance will be better. Most games don't make good use (or any use whatsoever) of more than 2 cores anyway. If you get integrated graphics, that will be your bottleneck by far, and your CPU will be underutilized. There is absolutely no excuse to have that kind of CPU and integrated graphics, unless you are planning on building the Linux kernel regularly or crunching prime numbers all day.
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 7:06 am   Post subject: RE:Integrated Graphics + high ram vs Dedicated Graphics + low ram

I can attest to Gandalf's last point. I currently have a quad core processor that can turbo boost to 2.8GHz. Even during the most intense stuff I'm doing on my computer, I reach maybe ~15% of the CPU (with all 3 major browsers open, 2 visual studios and a TON of background programs I'm sitting with ~3% used).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: