Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Admission Averages
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
crossley7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

Yeah it was from one of the colleges at U of T. Anything over 90 is very likely regardless
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
busterkomo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Admission Averages

Just got accepted to Waterloo CS Smile.
crossley7

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:05 am   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

Nice, what kind of grade 11 marks did you have just so I have an idea of what early acceptance marks are like
Velocity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:07 am   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

haha ended grade 11 semester one avg of 95:6%. English mark ended up being 77, still horrible and disgusting to look at but its ok... (myy school rounds it so 96% :DDD)
busterkomo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:47 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Admission Averages

crossley7 @ Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:05 am wrote:
Nice, what kind of grade 11 marks did you have just so I have an idea of what early acceptance marks are like

I fast-tracked a bit, so the courses that were sent were:
SPH4U1 (Physics): 95
SES4UQ (Earth & Space Science): 93
TEJ3M1 (Computer Engineering): 91
SPH3U1 (Physics): 96
SCH3U1 (Chemistry): 95
SBI3U1 (Biology): 81
MCR3U1 (Functions): 96
ENG3U1 (English): 78
CLU3M1 (Canadian Law): 86
Velocity

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:02 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

wow you beat me in english by one percent... lol
busterkomo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:55 pm   Post subject: Re: Admission Averages

Thankfully my grade 12 English mark will be a fair amount higher. I'm going into the exam with an 86.
Raknarg

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

So what you're all saying is that I'm totally screwed XD
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Evalon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:11 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

I find some of these marks hard to believe, but to each his own.

I finished SPH4U with a 78%, course median was in the 60s. It was a pretty tough course. I don't know if the 90s in physics/english are due to correspondence, online or private schools or what, but if you're in the TDSB a 90 in physics is wishful thinking.

...unless you're pretty smart. Wink
busterkomo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:33 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Admission Averages

Evalon @ Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:11 pm wrote:

Relevant anecdote:
In elementary school, my grades were by no means amazing (70-80), whereas the "smart" kids all had 90+.
Then, when I got to high school, my grades dramatically rose, while the grades of the same kids I once thought were smart dramatically fell. The amount of homework I do has been about the same (next to none), and the amount of homework the "smart" kids have done has been about the same (a fair amount, but not excessive). No idea why my grades changed so dramatically.

The other day, I saw a few of the smart kids looking over for some old Waterloo contest problems (I think it was from the Euclid). They were all collaborating on the same question, but were unable to come up with the correct answer. Looking over their shoulders, I solved the question with the correct answer (they weren't happy about this). After that, I thought to myself, "Am I actually pretty smart?"

I'm going to wait for the Euclid contest before I come to a decision. Realistically, I'm hoping to get a score in the 75-80, though it will probably come down to a lot of luck.

I finished SPH4U with a 78%, course median was in the 60s. It was a pretty tough course. I don't know if the 90s in physics/english are due to correspondence, online or private schools or what, but if you're in the TDSB a 90 in physics is wishful thinking.

For what it's worth, my TEJ3M1 course median was 50, and my physics and chemistry class averages are around 60. My advanced functions class average will be pretty high (I have ~99), but my class is really smart. My teacher said she's never had a class so smart. Since I fast-tracked so many classes, I can confirm what she's saying. At least, the class of the year above us, and the class of two years above us have literally no one smart in them.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:19 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Admission Averages

busterkomo @ 2012-01-29, 5:33 pm wrote:

Relevant anecdote:
In elementary school, my grades were by no means amazing (70-80), whereas the "smart" kids all had 90+.
Then, when I got to high school, my grades dramatically rose, while the grades of the same kids I once thought were smart dramatically fell. The amount of homework I do has been about the same (next to none), and the amount of homework the "smart" kids have done has been about the same (a fair amount, but not excessive). No idea why my grades changed so dramatically.

The other day, I saw a few of the smart kids looking over for some old Waterloo contest problems (I think it was from the Euclid). They were all collaborating on the same question, but were unable to come up with the correct answer. Looking over their shoulders, I solved the question with the correct answer (they weren't happy about this). After that, I thought to myself, "Am I actually pretty smart?"

I'm going to wait for the Euclid contest before I come to a decision. Realistically, I'm hoping to get a score in the 75-80, though it will probably come down to a lot of luck.

And, in university sometimes it takes yet another style of learning to do well. That's life, you won't get away with the same thing for too long. Wink
busterkomo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:41 pm   Post subject: Re: Admission Averages

Yeah, but most would expect a decrease in grades, not an increase, as they go higher in education. I wonder if I'll experience the same phenomenon when I go to Waterloo CS (almost set on there now).
crossley7

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

Well, my grades have steadily risen as I go to higher grades and if you put the effort in (and have the skill set needed to do well) it is very realistic to have grades increase.

Or at least that is the case in the courses that I have focussed in and worked hard to achieve my marks. Math dropped 1% a year until I started caring this year and brought it back up. (95-99% is really just how many times you miss little things such as a negative sign or formatting. Rarely logic errors)
mirhagk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:18 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Admission Averages

crossley7 @ Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:01 pm wrote:
(95-99% is really just how many times you miss little things such as a negative sign or formatting. Rarely logic errors)

This why I think there needs to be a new way of marking tests. I understand all the concepts in my calculus course, and can do every question, but I sometimes make stupid mistakes, and so I end up with a 90% but knowing all the course material. For data management I tutored 3 people in it before I took it, then I took it, and the only things I screwed up on where things like, forgetting to label the axis, the fact that the school has retarded definitions of terms (a sample bias is counted in everything, including census's) and other stupid mistakes, so I have a 90% there too. I wish there was a way to get 100% on the math, and have a separate mark for stupid mistakes.
crossley7

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:08 pm   Post subject: RE:Admission Averages

I know I recently got a 95% on my advanced functions exam and one of my mistakes consisted of forgetting I had cancelled something to -1 (and even written it on the page) so I ended up with the positive value instead of negative in my answer. Dumb things like that are the reason I don't have 100 in the course and yet I do that less this year than last so my mark is higher.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 10 of 13  [ 189 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: