Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 MacRuby Guide
Index -> Programming, Ruby -> Ruby Tutorials
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
yoursecretninja

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:15 pm   Post subject: MacRuby Guide

I wanted to share this resource I found. There is a new book coming out from O'Reilly called MacRuby: The Definitive Guide. The author has released the book under a creative commons license and posted the work in progress up on the web. It's not finished yet but it is very informative.

Here's the link: http://ofps.oreilly.com/titles/9781449380373/

For those not familiar with MacRuby, Apple has embraced Ruby as an alternative to objective-C for writing Cocoa apps for the Mac. You can develop a cocoa app from top to bottom in Ruby since bindings have been created to all the frameworks that make up cocoa. It is not available for use for developing iPhone apps.

Personally, I was quite excited about this when I came across it. I develop iPhone and web apps and wanted to try my hand at writing a mac app. After switching over to Ruby on Rails for my web apps though I found it hard to get excited about even writing iPhone apps anymore let alone taking a stab at a mac app. Objective-C is very solid language but it is extremely verbose. I actually enjoyed working with until I discovered Ruby, which is very elegant and succinct. I'm looking forward to digging into MacRuby further and bringing the joy of Ruby into the Appleverse.

Cheers!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:20 pm   Post subject: RE:MacRuby Guide

You can use ruby to write Cocoa apps?

I must familiarize myself with the framework immediately!

...but not right now.
   Index -> Programming, Ruby -> Ruby Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: