Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
wtd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:57 am   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

Computer science isn't just programming... but that's the language it's discussed in. Imagine a literature class where no one discusses language. Smile
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
richcash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:14 pm   Post subject: Re: Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

wtd wrote:

Computer science isn't just programming... but that's the language it's discussed in. Imagine a literature class where no one discusses language. Smile

I think I was putting too much negative connotation on programming, which I didn't mean to do. Programming is the core of computer science, obviously, and I am not a syntactic or sematic expert in any language. Of course there should be some discussion on programming, and infact most of the discussion should be on programming, but not 99%+. Imagine a literature class where the only thing discussed is grammar - grammar for various different languages...

Tony wrote:

well the way we've done this before, is that if General Discussion / General Programming / Offtopic accumulates enough discussion on a particular topic, that topic is promoted to its own forum. All of the suggestions are fine, in theory, but creating a bunch of empty stubs does not promote discussion well.

Start new threads in a general area, tag subject lines appropriately, and we'll take it from there.

I realize that, and maybe I can try to research some topics of computer science and post about them. But I have a feeling the only people interested in these topics will know a great deal more about it than I do, so I don't know if I'll be doing anything productive.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:30 pm   Post subject: Re: Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

richcash @ Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:14 pm wrote:
I don't know if I'll be doing anything productive.

You would be starting those discussions, something that people who know "a great deal more" aren't doing. Go for it.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Nick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:13 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

not to mention that if they know more than you, than they have something to teach you
richcash

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:35 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

Alright, good point, I guess it would have to be a gradual change.
Mackie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:28 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

I think we should have a hall of fame for the best submissions, or the most useful/intelligent threads.
CodeMonkey2000

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:23 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

We have a best submissions post in Turing. It hasn't been updated in a while though.
Cezna

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

Maybe add a section on flash?
Maybe there is a specific reason it is not there (since it seems like it would be otherwise), but if not, I would love to see a section on Adobe Flash, where I could read some tutorials and get into the language.

If there already is a Flash section, I apologize, but I could not find it.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Insectoid

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

Not many people ask about Flash. CS classes (which provide 95% of the user base) teach in Turing, Java or C++. My school only used Flash for media (which involves next to, if not zero programming) until this year and the school does not plan to continue with it. Any questions about Flash can be asked in General Programming. Once again, if enough topics are made about it, Flash will get a forum of its own.
class

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:20 am   Post subject: Re: Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

Maybe add a Unix/Linux section, or make them separate? Also, have shell scripting tutorials and stuff like that...

What do you think?
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 3:21 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

I think that should all go into "General Programming", and if there are enough threads and activity, they will all be moved into a newly created section. There's little sense of having a new forum with 0 posts.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
DtY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:51 pm   Post subject: Re: Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

class @ Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:20 am wrote:
Maybe add a Unix/Linux section, or make them separate? Also, have shell scripting tutorials and stuff like that...

What do you think?
Shell scripting itself is pretty vague, but I can write you some bash tutorials (if you don't know what shell you're using, it's probably bash).
Turing_Gamer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:50 pm   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

Add a search creator bar. Allowing the person to search the forums by a specific Programmer. Some time I want to find my own stuff I posted, but I forget the names so I try entering my name and random topics pop up. Please add this. It will be a major improvement.
Insectoid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:31 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

Turing_Gamer @ Mon Sep 13, 2010 8:50 pm wrote:
Add a search creator bar. Allowing the person to search the forums by a specific Programmer. Some time I want to find my own stuff I posted, but I forget the names so I try entering my name and random topics pop up. Please add this. It will be a major improvement.

All posts by Turing_Gamer.
Turing_Gamer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:16 am   Post subject: RE:Suggestions for Improvement to CompSci.ca

Oh... Is it possible to have an IM browser in a corner that can be brought out with a click? Or a video of the day?
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 5  [ 63 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: