Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 If no other point is reachable, the output line is just the "n:", with no trailing spaces.
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Vengeance101

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:34 pm   Post subject: If no other point is reachable, the output line is just the "n:", with no trailing spaces.

I wasn't aware that this implied that no trailing spaces should appear in the output in the case a point is reachable. Stupid problem description!!!! Stupid Dwite!!!! Sad
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
A.J

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:48 pm   Post subject: RE:If no other point is reachable, the output line is just the "n:", with no trailing spaces.

hey hey

Do not blame the contest. Also, you should not put trailing spaces anyways, as their sample output did not have any.

I thought DWITE is going really well, good job Tony and Dan =)
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:38 pm   Post subject: RE:If no other point is reachable, the output line is just the "n:", with no trailing spaces.

@Vengeance101: how would you have worded the description to make the expected format more clear?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
bbi5291

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2009 8:40 pm   Post subject: Re: If no other point is reachable, the output line is just the "n:", with no trailing spaces.

I think that all trailing spaces should be ignored. There is no reason to add the element of tricky output to a problem which is really intended to test your ability to use DFS/BFS...
Vengeance101

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:30 am   Post subject: RE:If no other point is reachable, the output line is just the "n:", with no trailing spaces.

I second what Brian says!!!

And I would have simply said that "no space should follow the last reachable point of interest for each line of output" or something like that...may God smite thee, devil! Mad
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:07 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:If no other point is reachable, the output line is just the "n:", with no trailing spaces.

@Dan -- can the judge strip trailing whitespace for future rounds?

@Brian -- I don't see how that was "tricky output", enough people seem to have gotten it right. Edit: unless you think it's much easier to just pad spacing on the right -- let me know.

@Vengeance101 -- but that doesn't describe the lines that have no "last reachable point".

The question did say:
Quote:

separated by a single space

as in
code:

irb(main):001:0> [1,2,3].join(" ")
=> "1 2 3"

It did no say "padded on the right with a space"
code:

irb(main):001:0> [1,2,3].collect{|a| "#{a} "}.join
=> "1 2 3 "

Reading comprehension FTW.

Vengeance101 @ Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:30 am wrote:
may God smite thee, devil! Mad

We have a strict "no smiting" pact. That would have to wait at least until after re-negotiations.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:10 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:If no other point is reachable, the output line is just the "n:", with no trailing spaces.

Tony @ 26th November 2009, 2:07 pm wrote:
@Dan -- can the judge strip trailing whitespace for future rounds?

If you never want to count whitespace on the end, it will be no problem.

I blive this issue came up before but we where woried about cases where it is counted. However i think that was more for beging white space then ending white space.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 2:16 pm   Post subject: RE:If no other point is reachable, the output line is just the "n:", with no trailing spaces.

I shouldn't want to count trailing white spaces... I'll remind you again when we are setting up for the next round.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 8 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: