Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript
Index -> Programming, PHP -> PHP Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
samara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:04 pm   Post subject: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

Approach 1:

<html>
<body>

<form name = "form1">
<textarea name = "txtarea1" id = "txtarea1" rows = "3" cols = "30" ></textarea><br>
<input type = "button" value ="Submit Comment" onclick = "addItem()"/>
</form>

<script type = "text/javascript">
var a;

function addItem() {
a = document.getElementById("txtarea1").value;
document.write('<td><script type="text/javascript">document.write(a);</script></td>'); ----------------------------ERROR
}
</script>

<table class="irtable" border="1">
<tr>
<th>Comment</th> </tr>
<td><script type="text/javascript">document.write(a);</script></td>
<td><input type = "button" Value ="Delete"/></td>
</table>
</body>
</html>

The code at the place error is not showing up like a javascript, and it is not executing!!
Can anyone help me, any suggestions please!!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:09 pm   Post subject: Re: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

Perhaps if you can better explain your end target/goal we can help you out.
samara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:16 pm   Post subject: Re: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

Approach 2:

Comments.Php Follows:

<html>
<body>
<input type = "text" name "comment" style="width: 99%;" id = "comment"/><br>
<input type = "button" value ="Add" onclick = "addcomment()"/>

<script type = "text/javascript">
var a,b,d;
var count = 0;
function addcomment() {
a = document.getElementById("Comment").value;
if (count == 0) {
d = a; // d is the original value of the textarea before an additions
count ++;
}
'<?php $report="<script>document.write(a)</script>"; ?>';
document.getElementById("comment").value = "";
self.location="Action.php?action=1";
}
</script>
</body>
</html>

Action.Php Follows:

<html>
<body>
<?php
if(isset($action) && $action == 1){
echo_header_detail();
}

function echo_detail_header()
{
?>
<table class="irtable" border="3">
<tr>
<th>Comments</th>
<td Width="110"><script type="text/javascript">document.write(a);</script></td>
</tr>
</table>

<?php
}
?>

</body>
</html>

When executing Comments.php and clicking on Add button, its getting transfered to Action.php but the code echo_header_detail is not getting executed.

Can anyone help me!! If it gets executed i also want to pass the value a from comments.php to action.php

Any help r suggestions please!!
samara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:24 pm   Post subject: Re: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

Octopi, Thanks for the quick turn over sir!!

I have to implement a comments section under a webpage which displays a report!!

1.) User should be able to add comments.

2.) Unfortunately we donot have any database!!

So when ever user adds comment and click add, the value in the textarea or textfield wherever he enters should be stored on the page as HTML content and an update and delete button should be generated beside the comment!!

My boss says, since there is no database, and users are less, whenever someone adds comments, the whole page should refresh r whatever you have to edit the html content of the whole page.

so i wan to carete a textfiled and button, when user enters and clicks button, function should be called and it should get value from the textfield and display it somewhere on the same page!!

i am thinking of displaying it as a table Like:
-----------
[Text Field] [add Button]
------------
when add is clicked, the page changes to
-----------
[Text Field] [add Button]

[Table Header]
[comment in row] [update button] [delete button]
-----------
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:30 pm   Post subject: Re: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

Alright, From what I understand your best option would be to use PHP to read/write files. You shouldn't need any javascript for this.

Look into the methods:
http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.file-get-contents.php
http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.file-put-contents.php

When a user is posting a comment, write to a file.

When a user is requesting to view comments then just load the file, and display it.
samara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:47 pm   Post subject: Re: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

Oh My God!!

this is the best reply i saw from so many posts!!

today is my second day in PHP, the links you gave, i was not able to understand how to implement it!!

can you please write a piece of code for my situation, assuming any text field or button.
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:53 pm   Post subject: Re: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

code:

<?php

if($_REQUEST['comment']) { file_put_contents("comment.txt", $_REQUEST['comment'],FILE_APPEND); }

print "<html>";
  print "<form method='POST'>";
  print "Comment: <input type='text' name='comment' /><input type='submit' name='submit' value='Post' />";
  print "</form>";
  print @file_get_contents("comment.txt");
  print "</html>";

?>
samara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:07 pm   Post subject: Re: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

I am giving a little explanation for the code you gave me:

Comment.txt is the file name where comments are stored!!
Comment is the text field,
Submit is the button which displays post on it,

Now is $_REQUEST[?comment?] is the text in the comment and if($_REQUEST[?comment?] means if button is clicked?

So this whole thing is only, when user enters comment and clicks the button, the values are written into the file and the file is refreshed or shown on the same page, am I correct!!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:10 pm   Post subject: Re: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

comment.txt is the file where the comments are stored, correct.

comment is the text field

the submit just saves the comment post

$_REQUEST['comment'] gets the value of the text field

if($_REQUEST['comment']) {} means the text field has something inside of it.

It writes the new comment to the file, and then reads the contents of the file and displays it.
samara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:26 pm   Post subject: Re: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

I implemented it, i am getting two an error:

Undefined index: comment in C:\Program Files\NComments.php on line 2

and line 2: is this one "if($_REQUEST[?comment?] "

one more thing: i am getting all the data displayed in a row, i want them line after line,

Now if user wants to delete a specific comment what should he do!!
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:50 pm   Post subject: Re: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

That isn't an error, its a notice.
You could disable notices, or use the array_key_exists() method to check if the index exists before attempting to access it.
http://ca3.php.net/array_key_exists

Add a <br /> tag to what you write to the file.

code:
if($_REQUEST['comment']) { file_put_contents("comment.txt", $_REQUEST['comment'] . "<br />",FILE_APPEND); }

There is no way to delete a specific comment this way, you should really be using a database. Alternatively you can create a different comments file each time, and then read them all back in....but this is way beyond your current abilities. Perhaps you should read up on some tutorials first, before jumping head first into a job.
samara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:15 pm   Post subject: Re: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

Thanks a lot sir,

I do not have more than 25 posts to increase your Karma or give you points or something!! I still have so many doubts and since i am new, i will be getting doubts,

will it be ok, if i ask doubts everyday or often!!

Thanks a lot once again!!

As of now, i have one doubt:

Since the deletion of specific comment is too complex at this time and moreover, since the comments are getting displaying one after another in a row

Is there anyway, i can put a date and time, or user name beside each comment

ie beside each $_REQUEST['comment'] when ever the files appends the text, may be a way append present date and time beside it!!
octopi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:19 pm   Post subject: Re: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

If you want you can add another field, such as username

then do

code:
if($_REQUEST['comment']) { file_put_contents("comment.txt", $_REQUEST['username'] . " wrote: " $_REQUEST['comment'] . "<br />",FILE_APPEND); }

remember to add the text field to the html form section

if you want the date and time then do something like this

code:

$date = date("F j, Y, g:i a");
if($_REQUEST['comment']) { file_put_contents("comment.txt", $_REQUEST['username'] . " wrote: " $_REQUEST['comment'] . " on " . $date . "<br />",FILE_APPEND); }

http://ca3.php.net/manual/en/function.date.php
samara

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:28 pm   Post subject: Re: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

Hello Sir,

I have new problem, my boss walked in just now!!

When ever user comment and clicks add, i need to open an HTML file from a directory(i need to open an existing file which i know), i need to locate a string </head> and i need to put the value of the text field there like this:

<meta name="comment" content="value in the text field ie ($_REQUEST['comment']">

now i have this
if($_REQUEST['comment'])
{
$file_contents = file_get_contents(REPORTS_DIR."/$FILENAME");

$find_string = '</head>';

now how to add the new string <meta name="comment" content="value in the text field ie ($_REQUEST['comment']"> above the </head>

Pls lemme knw!!

Thanks!!
samara

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:52 am   Post subject: Re: Calling a PHP function from Javascript, Writing HTML in Javascript

My Next step is:
Now user has enetered the comment and he posted, its going into the file:

Now the files meta Tag is like this:
<meta name="comment" content="This is the first">

If user enters a new comment(this is the second comment), it should append to the first comment in a new line like this:

<meta name="comment" content="This is the first
This is the second comment">

Any help please

Quote:
function addMetaTag($file, $separator, $metaTag)
{
$file_contents = file_get_contents($file);
$file_parts = explode($separator, $file_contents);
$newFile = $file_parts[0].$metaTag.$separator.$file_parts[1];
file_put_contents($file, $newFile, LOCK_EX);
}

if(isset($_REQUEST['comment']) && $_REQUEST['comment'])
{
$file = REPORTS_DIR."/$FILENAME";
$separator = "</head>";
$metaTag = "<meta name=\"comment\" content=\"".$_REQUEST['comment']."\">\r\n";
addMetaTag($file, $separator, $metaTag);
}

// See the results. //
//echo "<span style='font-size:24px;font-weight:bold;'>New file :</span><br />".nl2br(htmlspecialchars(file_get_contents($file)));

print "<html>";
print "<form method='POST'>";
print "<div class='normal_header'>Comment:</div><textarea name = 'comment' id = 'txtarea1' rows = '3' cols = '30' ></textarea/></br><input type='submit' name='submit' value='Post' />";
print "</form>";
print "</html>";
   Index -> Programming, PHP -> PHP Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 15 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: