Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 VB 6.0 to VB.NET
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
tiresias15

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:28 am   Post subject: VB 6.0 to VB.NET

I learned VB in 6.0 and I recently got .NET thinking they couldn't be so different that I'd be absolutely incapable of successfully accomplishing anything. So far I've been proven completely wrong. To make matters worse the help index that I was so fond of in 6.0 has become so incredibly large that I can't find the new syntax for things I had memorized in 6.0. Specifically I'm having a great deal of trouble with receiving keyboard input such as the left arrow making a label move to the left. Luckily the timers still work the same, I just can't figure out any of the syntax to pick up the key strokes or exactly how to work it in it's new form. I picked up .NET because I enjoy programming things in my free time for a bit of relaxation, and so far it's been nothing but stress. Someone please help me.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Vertico

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:15 pm   Post subject: RE:VB 6.0 to VB.NET

Just because they both are VB doesn't mean they are the same. Your going to have to start from scratch on this one, or at lest very close to it.
jbking

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:37 pm   Post subject: Re: VB 6.0 to VB.NET

Did you do any research on what are the major changes from VB 6.0 to VB.Net? In particular the CLR and what various versions of the .Net framework added to the language? If you haven't, my suggestion is to do some of that and then determine if you want to stay with VB.Net or potentially go off to VBScript which is another variant on some of the elements of VB.
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: