Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Interface design
Index -> Web Design
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Zeroth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:30 pm   Post subject: Interface design

Okay, so I'm working on a wishlist webapp(hopefully finish it this week).

My problem is trying to figure out how to best present a kind of complex amount of information. There are wishlist objects, which then contain list items. Each List item can have multiple links, and multiple visibility constraints(so you can choose who can or can't see this item). I'm trying to figure out currently how best to represent this kind of interface. Currently, it will have the basic information for the wishlist, then rows for the information for five list items. The user can click a button, and ajax-ly get another row for another list item be added in. Any suggestions for the multiple links, and the visibility constraints?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
gianni

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:06 pm   Post subject: RE:Interface design

I find the best way to sort out UI issues is to sit down with paper and a pencil and just draw out the different possibilities. Then once I have a few versions I'll pick one or two and throw together a mockup in photoshop. At this point you will be able to tell what works and what doesn't and you can make adjustments as needed. From there it's off to the editor!

As to your specific issue, I would recommend taking the simplest UI route possible. If you're going to be showing an "overview" of many list items, I wouldn't show the user too many options or details up front. You don't want to overwhelm them. A good example of how you could arrange things: http://www.wishlistr.com/.
   Index -> Web Design
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 2 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: