Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Gaming/Linux Computer - A Plan
Index -> General Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Aziz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:30 pm   Post subject: RE:Gaming/Linux Computer - A Plan

I guess I forgot the wireless card! I was talking about an Atheros one, because I've had good experience with madwifi, but I gues they don't make desktop cards?

So any recommendations for that?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
jernst

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:37 am   Post subject: Re: Gaming/Linux Computer - A Plan

I don't have a recommendation for you, but if you find one that works well in linux let me know...I'm going to need to buy a bunch of them soon for some protocol work I'm doing and I don't wanna get stuck using ndiswrapper for the driver Razz
Aziz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:53 am   Post subject: RE:Gaming/Linux Computer - A Plan

Well, I love madwifi, and Atheros doesn't make cards, they make chipset. Brands like Dlink, 3Com, etc use Atheros chipsets in some of there cards, I just have to find out which ones.
Aziz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Gaming/Linux Computer - A Plan

Like I said, My price range is about $800, and Alienware computers are [n]not[/b] a good choice. They're overly expensive and completely not worth it (my friend bought an alienware laptop).

Quadcores may improve your gaming experience, but not so much as you'd think, at least not double the performance as compared to a dual-core. Quad-cores are good where you have many processes that need to be handled at once (data transcoding, servers, CAD, etc).

I agree with the your statement about RAM, 4GB minimum for a Vista gaming machine. I going to purchase 2x2GB sticks, so I'll have room in my motherboard for 2 more, which would bring the total to 8GB (it supports 16GB). Some servers can go up to 32GB, or more!

GeForce chipsets are made by nVidia. The 9 series is the latest, debuiting with the 9600GT. The 9800GT has gotten good reviews and is linux-stable, not to mention inexpensive (comparetively), so that's that my choice for right now.

I did consider getting a Velociraptor, but they're just too expensive for me. I'm going to stick with a 1TB 7200 RPM drive. Also, check out this 15k RPM drive: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822116059 priced at $425.

I appreciate the feedback. Just a tip, however, try to make your post a little more readable. (And apologies if that sounded rude, I'm actually in a good mood today so I'm not pissed of Smile )
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:07 pm   Post subject: Re: Gaming/Linux Computer - A Plan

you gotta get this: http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=ca&CS=cadhs1&l=en&OC=DSXPS_R_1E&dgc=AF&cid=3881&lid=77903

Core i7-920, 3GB DDR3, 500GB HD for under 1000. Cant get any better even if you build it yourself.
Aziz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:00 am   Post subject: RE:Gaming/Linux Computer - A Plan

So what you're saying is, I should buy a Pre-built Dell computer, that's worse than what I picked out, for more expensive, when I want to build one?

I disagree my friend. Dell PC's are only inexpensive on the low-end. They sell below cost. Their high-range PCs are pricey, and limited customizability.

I'm not sure of this i7 processor, but how much of an improvement over it than the E8400? I've got 4GB in my machine (DDR2 though), and a 1TB HDD. Also, the video card in that fails to compare against the 9800 GT (if I remember correctly). Also, I don't get the choose my case, cooling solutions, motherboard, RAM brand, etc. And I'm forced to buy an OS (which I'm not going to). For $200 more.

I don't think you understood my first post ;/
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:54 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Gaming/Linux Computer - A Plan

Aziz @ Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:00 am wrote:
So what you're saying is, I should buy a Pre-built Dell computer, that's worse than what I picked out, for more expensive, when I want to build one?

I disagree my friend. Dell PC's are only inexpensive on the low-end. They sell below cost. Their high-range PCs are pricey, and limited customizability.

I'm not sure of this i7 processor, but how much of an improvement over it than the E8400? I've got 4GB in my machine (DDR2 though), and a 1TB HDD. Also, the video card in that fails to compare against the 9800 GT (if I remember correctly). Also, I don't get the choose my case, cooling solutions, motherboard, RAM brand, etc. And I'm forced to buy an OS (which I'm not going to). For $200 more.

I don't think you understood my first post ;/

And you also don't understand the price point and the performance implications of i7 core and DDR3 Ram.
Aziz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:15 pm   Post subject: RE:Gaming/Linux Computer - A Plan

This is true, though from my little reading about the i7 the low end models equal or barely better that high-end Core 2 Duo's at best. And while price-point is a consideration, so is price, and $1000 is a bit above my budget. Also, I'd just buy the CPU myself instead of having Dell build my computer for me.

Part of this for me is building it myself. I can customize it how I want, and it's fun. And I don't have to deal with Dell's customer service.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ecookman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:37 am   Post subject: RE:Gaming/Linux Computer - A Plan

you are completly right Aziz (as far as i know)

then new i7 cores are a little better than what is "the best" you can get right now...bbbuuuttt

they are way too expensive.
frankly i really don't see what is wrong with getting a good, soild, high-end core 2 duo or a quad core...if you want to spend that type of cash.

that being said also finding a processor that doesn't mind high temperatures and has a huge cashe, so overclocking is no problem.
   Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 3  [ 39 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: