Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Flash drop down nav bar
Index -> Web Design
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
joshuabaker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:44 pm   Post subject: Flash drop down nav bar

Hello,

I am very new to building websites and i have learned to create a flash nav bar. But i can't seem to figure out how to get the drop down part to go over the whole website. Dose anyone have any idea on how to make a flash name bar go over the rest of my site?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:56 pm   Post subject: RE:Flash drop down nav bar

Don't use flash for navigation.

Flash is great for rich media (such as streaming video).
Flash is decent for in-browser games.

Flash is a horrible choice for navigation. Not everybody has flash. Not everybody has flash enabled. It doesn't scale with the page. It's not read by screen readers. It's not crawlable (easily) by bots.

Drop down menus can be (and should be) implemented with CSS only
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rdrake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:20 am   Post subject: RE:Flash drop down nav bar

I second the above; just say no to Flash navigation.
Unforgiven

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:30 pm   Post subject: RE:Flash drop down nav bar

Sorry for the "me too" post, but the sentiment can't be supported enough, for the reasons posted by Tony. I think flash is great for things like Youtube - it removes the client side dependencies for codecs and whatnot, but not for core things like navigation or content.

It's just like Javascript - it's a tool that can do wonderful things when used properly, but if the user doesn't have it, they should still be able to use the site, even if in a "reduced state". Make sure that if you go there with javascript, java, and flash all disabled, you can still find the information on the site.
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:24 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Flash drop down nav bar

"graceful degradation" is the term Wink
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Unforgiven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:31 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Flash drop down nav bar

Tony @ Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:24 pm wrote:
"graceful degradation" is the term Wink

Yarg, I knew that and didn't even toss it in there. Thanks.
jernst

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:41 pm   Post subject: Re: Flash drop down nav bar

Or, if you wanted to be a jerk about it, you could start with flash, then when they complain it doesnt work for everyone: add javascript then when they complain again, do it properly with the graceful degradation haha....that way you can make money 3 times Razz
Unforgiven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:05 pm   Post subject: Re: Flash drop down nav bar

jernst @ Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:41 pm wrote:
Or, if you wanted to be a jerk about it, you could start with flash, then when they complain it doesnt work for everyone: add javascript then when they complain again, do it properly with the graceful degradation haha....that way you can make money 3 times Razz

Hah, I propose a new term for this: Profitable Degradation.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:54 pm   Post subject: RE:Flash drop down nav bar

Except that people with no Flash will not be able to use the navigation to find that "contact us" page to complain Wink
md

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:55 pm   Post subject: RE:Flash drop down nav bar

That and no one will hire you to to a job three times.
Unforgiven

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:34 pm   Post subject: RE:Flash drop down nav bar

Stop ruining our fun with reality. Razz
   Index -> Web Design
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: