Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Designing a Binary Code System
Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
dkelloway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:20 pm   Post subject: Designing a Binary Code System

can someone please give me some advice when doing the following. this is what I need to do. Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

Design a minimal binary coding system that will uniquely represent the
positioning of pieces for the board game of Chess.
a) (6 points) Specify the least number of bits which should be used to represent each
component (i.e., each piece and its position) in order to uniquely identify the
game at any given point.
b) (16 points) Specify the codes for representing each necessary component. If the
codes for any one component are more than 10 then please give the first two and
the last two codes. Note: From the pattern of the given codes the marker should
be able to determine the other codes.
c) (4 points) Specify your coding scheme so that anybody can follow it to uniquely
identify the game at any given point.
d) (6 points) Give examples of two codes identifying the game giving positions of
a black king and white rook. Explain how your codes can be interpreted.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Vertico

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:09 pm   Post subject: Re: Designing a Binary Code System

Quote:
(6 points)

I love how you posted the value each question has in the assignment. Its as if you completely copy and pasted it.

I'll help you, but your going to need to start it and come back here with your problems, not the entire project.
Vermette

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Designing a Binary Code System

Research chess notation. There is a notation out there for representing the full state of a chess board in a short string of ASCII (less than 80 characters): the position of all pieces on the board, available castling and en passant options, and the current move. I'm *not* referring to algebraic notation used to record whole games.

Find it, adapt a minimal coding scheme to represent it and you'll have an A+ project.
dkelloway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:11 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Designing a Binary Code System

Vermette @ Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:37 pm wrote:
Research chess notation. There is a notation out there for representing the full state of a chess board in a short string of ASCII (less than 80 characters): the position of all pieces on the board, available castling and en passant options, and the current move. I'm *not* referring to algebraic notation used to record whole games.

Find it, adapt a minimal coding scheme to represent it and you'll have an A+ project.

when you mean a short strings of ASCII, do you mean like 1 for white, and 0 for black?
syntax_error

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:59 pm   Post subject: RE:Designing a Binary Code System

Its a start.
   Index -> Programming, Visual Basic and Other Basics -> Visual Basic Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: