Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Nice models and free models, new site!
Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> 3D Graphics
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
3d4ya

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:00 am   Post subject: Nice models and free models, new site!

Hey there!
We've just started a small 3d model site which would be cool for your game development:

http://www.3d4ya.com

We have free real-time models like this:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

and others:

Developers always need model, so we try our best to make as many free model as we can and hope they might help you!
New products are available every week, we kindly invite you to visit 3d4ya.com frequently to check them out!
Sorry if you find it annoying.

3d4ya.com
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Zeroth

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:51 am   Post subject: Re: Nice models and free models, new site!

3d4ya... normally, a blatant advertising post like this I would call spam. But due to the type of community, several members would actually see it as useful. So its a bit iffy. The website is very smooth, professional, so far, no dangerous scripts, no ads(much appreciated btw).

The licensing is quite small, and simple. Personally, I have an issue with this clause:

Quote:
You are not permitted to:

- Market, distribute, give, transfer, sell or sublicense the product in any format with the exception of a video game. In this case (video game), the product must be compiled and protected with resource encryption, so it exist only within the program code and may not be rebuilt from the compiled binary.
(Emphasis mine)

Does resource encryption mean say, DRM? If so, I certainly wouldn't use any of your models. DRM is a self-defeating industry tactic, particularly in video games, and a license that forces me to use some form of such is anathema to me. If however, even the most basic, shoddy form of encryption would pass legal muster, since you did not define it, then I'd use base64.

My real problem though, is that you should pay compsci.ca money if you want to advertise, instead of getting free advertising like this. In your favour, however, you did not pretend to be a random happy user talking about the site.

I'm conflicted here. -.-
StealthArcher

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:41 am   Post subject: RE:Nice models and free models, new site!

Far as I can tell, his models don't cost money, therefore he is still advertising "freeware" of sorts, licensed or not. As long as he posts this one thread only and uses his signature as the only ther ad device, I figure it's fine. It's more of a resource ad, than a product ad.
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> 3D Graphics
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: