Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 HTML 5.0 Changes Draft
Index -> Web Design
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
btiffin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:35 pm   Post subject: HTML 5.0 Changes Draft

http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-html5-diff-20080122/#new-elements

Of note to me is the ping attribute on anchor tags and its in your face personal hyperlink choice tracking. The rest of it looks like the internet may finally start to be more fun and less frustrating for web developers. Get rid of some of the technical weedy bits and free the creative folk to give us even more interesting stuff.

Cheers
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
md

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 10:32 am   Post subject: RE:HTML 5.0 Changes Draft

I still like XHTML and CSS better. HTML5 is a step backwards from an accessibility perspective.
btiffin

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:09 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:HTML 5.0 Changes Draft

md @ Wed May 28, 2008 10:32 am wrote:
I still like XHTML and CSS better. HTML5 is a step backwards from an accessibility perspective.

Can't say I agree here. One of the aims of 5.0 is to further separate content and presentation. A quote from the scope
Quote:
The scope of this specification does not include documenting every HTML or DOM feature supported by Web browsers. Browsers support many features that are considered to be very bad for accessibility or that are otherwise inappropriate. For example, the blink element is clearly presentational and authors wishing to cause text to blink should instead use CSS.

I will admit to not going very deep into 5 yet; and also admit to being none to up on 4, 3, 2 or Tim Berners-Lee Smile

Cheers
Unforgiven

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:57 am   Post subject: Re: HTML 5.0 Changes Draft

I think it's very interesting stuff they're doing, but I just can't see it as worth bothering to read up on in great detail. I mean, how well supported is even just CSS 2 supported, and how long has it been out?

I think this image sums it up pretty well.

poster92654750.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.5 KB
 Viewed:  214 Time(s)

poster92654750.jpg

jeffgreco13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:42 am   Post subject: Re: HTML 5.0 Changes Draft

Well they spelt "already" wrong in that picture...
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:57 am   Post subject: RE:HTML 5.0 Changes Draft

Not only are they already changing the web standards, but you also get to hit the elusive target of Internet Explorer...good luck, have fun! Enjoy going slowly insane as IE tells you that there is error after error on line 1,476 of your 25-line HTML document. Hear the Chaos Gods speak clearly after discovering that IE completely ignores DTD-Strict in favour of using DTD-Loose, just because! Revel in the stupefying horror of the browser that just won't play nice with CSS and DOM manipulation.

/rant.
jeffgreco13

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:55 am   Post subject: Re: HTML 5.0 Changes Draft

I really do despise IE with a passion. I try my absolute best to make my sites compatible with all browsers and IE always chaps my ass... pardon my french.

At work Im working with a dilemma though that I'm stuck using the OLG standardized IE browser. I downloaded firefox and installed it, but with my subpar computer it often flakes out on me.

Things can never be easy... just because no one wants to play nice and keep things standard.
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 2:19 pm   Post subject: RE:HTML 5.0 Changes Draft

If you're working with IE, one of the best things you can do is make sure all your JS is up to spec. Use a verifier like http://www.jslint.com/ and that will more or less guarantee that your code will run under all browsers (assuming, of course, that you pass the validation).
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
btiffin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:50 am   Post subject: RE:HTML 5.0 Changes Draft

Umm, IE even fails on transparencies. Joke.

And along with jeff; no ONE wants to play nice (and risk offering choice).

Cheers
Brightguy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:04 pm   Post subject: Re: HTML 5.0 Changes Draft

What do you mean by "in your face"?

Interesting how XHTML2 and 5 are sort of going in different directions. HTML5 seems rather down-to-earth, but part of me just wants to say "forget backwards compatibility"!

Unforgiven @ Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:57 am wrote:
I mean, how well supported is even just CSS 2 supported, and how long has it been out?

CSS2 was published in 1998, and all modern browsers support most of CSS2.1 (but none are perfect).
btiffin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:25 am   Post subject: Re: HTML 5.0 Changes Draft

Brightguy @ Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:04 pm wrote:
What do you mean by "in your face"?

Well, when I click a link to debian.org while visiting distrowatch.com, I don't want to look at the page source and see the anchor tag has ping="microsoft.com/getthelinuxuser, sellmorewindows.com"> That's "in my face". If someone gets paid to track my surfing, I want that to stay hidden in some server side script; so I don't get ticked off for knowing. Smile

Note: made up example. distrowatch.com is a good site imho, and no slight was intended.
Cheers
Brightguy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:42 pm   Post subject: Re: HTML 5.0 Changes Draft

I don't see the disadvantage, it seems like a useful and simple solution.

If you run a website, you can see which links lead people to your site and which pages they are viewing, but you can't see which outbound links they are clicking on. If you really need to know, you use the standard ugly hack of linking to something like redirect.php?url=http://example.com/

And this causes those that prefer not to be tracked to manually extract the URL from the redirect link on every site they visit... as opposed to just configuring their user agent to ignore the ping attribute.
btiffin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:12 pm   Post subject: RE:HTML 5.0 Changes Draft

Oh, I'm being a little facetious. Yes, I agree it will make for more openness. And it will be easier for websites to earn the click millicents, that they deserve.

But still ... it's like the difference between thinking the American government spies on all Canadian internet traffic and knowing they spy on us.

Cheers,
google Echelon if you want the deets on when and how and the NSA spies on everyone that is not a US citizen. It's not a big deal really, but it kinda sucks knowing. I'd almost rather not know. Smile
   Index -> Web Design
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 13 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: