Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 When should i apply?
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
tenniscrazy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:33 pm   Post subject: When should i apply?

So, I have a question.
I'm going into grade 12 next year so normally I would be applying for university.
But after grade 12, I will be taking a year off then going to university after that. I was wondering if I should still apply in grade 12, or wait until my year off. I talked to guidance at my school and they said i could apply through the government if I wasn't enrolled in a school that year. Is there any benefit either way that anyone knows of? and has anyone here done this?
Thanks
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
iluvchairs112

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:40 pm   Post subject: RE:When should i apply?

sometimes you can defer for a year. might as well apply when you are in grade 12 and see if you can defer if you get the program you want. if not, apply the next year.
Light

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:43 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:When should i apply?

iluvchairs112 @ Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:40 pm wrote:
sometimes you can defer for a year. might as well apply when you are in grade 12 and see if you can defer if you get the program you want. if not, apply the next year.

Only problem with that is you could have to pay the fee to apply two times if you can not defer it.

May we ask why you want to take a year off before university?
tenniscrazy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:29 am   Post subject: RE:When should i apply?

Many people do it in my religion, it's called a year of service and basically you go somewhere in the world, anywhere really, and volunteer for a year.
Vermette

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:26 pm   Post subject: RE:When should i apply?

Pretty popular idea in the UK too, they call it the gap year.
tenniscrazy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:03 am   Post subject: RE:When should i apply?

yeah, lots of people do it.

I heard from someone that universities actually like it if you take a year off because it gives you a chance to mature or something. And you're more likely to not drop out.

So nobody here has ever done this?
Aziz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:14 am   Post subject: RE:When should i apply?

No experience myself, but I would just apply around Dec 09/Jan10 then, when you're away. All applications are done through OCAS or OUAC:

http://www.ontariocolleges.ca/
http://www.ouac.on.ca/

That's for Ontario, of course. And yes, don't apply unless you're planning on going. $85 (or whatever it is now) for nothing sucks =/
tenniscrazy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:34 am   Post subject: RE:When should i apply?

Sweet, thanks.

Ya, i would meet all the requirements for the OUAC 105D application the year that i'm away, so that would work fine. Thanks for the help
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Aziz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:51 am   Post subject: RE:When should i apply?

I'd suggest talking to your school's guidance counsellor, and even calling up the college/university of choice and talking to their registrar's office.

It never hurts to be sure you know exactly what's going to happen and if there's going to be any obstacles.
tenniscrazy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:05 pm   Post subject: RE:When should i apply?

thats true, yeah. I plan on driving to all the universities me and my friends are interested in this summer. so i may as well ask in person.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: