Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 3D programmer - few questions
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
DemonWasp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:08 pm   Post subject: RE:3D programmer - few questions

Depending on what level you're at, you need to look to different institutions.

Super-basic: You may be able to find something programming-oriented in "Continuing Education" centers. At this level you're better off just learning from tutorials on the Intertubes, and writing example programs for your own sake.

Less basic: You're probably looking at taking a College-level course or two. At this level, you can still learn the information on your own relatively easily.

Moderate: (ie you can code C++ just fine, you're starting to look into the more complex optimisations); at this level you're definitely going to want University-level courses. UWaterloo is a great university for Computer Science (somewhere near the level of MIT).

Advanced: There is no substitute for real-world experience.

Incidentally, if you already know another language than C++ (*cough* Java, Python, etc) then you may want to start learning about 3d concepts in that language without getting into the complexities of C++. In the games industry you'll probably need to use C++, but 3d programming concepts can be difficult enough without adding the complication of a new language, particularly one so difficult as C++.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Reality Check

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:33 pm   Post subject: Re: 3D programmer - few questions

What are your current skills with programming? And aziz while programming is something you can teach yourself (ie. efficient ways of completing a task, algorithms, syntax) it isn't something everyone can be good at. You need a very strong background in math and to a lesser degree physics. To do well in the gaming industry as a programmer I'd assume you need a strong enough knowledge of math. In fact, I'm pretty certain that many companies regard Math higher than CS when looking for programming positions. Of course being strong at logic is a big plus too but if you're really strong at math and physics I'd think it's safe to assume your logic skills are pretty good.

Regarding your questions, I think the smartest thing one can do to get the kind of job you are looking for is getting that CS degree. It's pretty hard to get in without it. That's my suggestion. Find a school around you that offers a CS bachelors and if you really like the subject, do a lot of off school activities on your own time. Once you finish that four years there are many options. You could dive straight in and go for a job in the industry (which would be much higher with your CS degree) or you could get some more education. Maybe consider graduate school for something like math? Once your four years is up there really is no need to get your CS masters but it'd help a lot in terms of credibility if you go and do more math.

That being said many actually opt to go for a college experience in those game design schools once the four years is up. I can see how that'd be somewhat beneficial but I wouldn't suggest that personally. But just remember, you have to really love math to like the job.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 17 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: