Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Software Engineering: UFT or Waterloo?
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
PaulButler

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:24 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Software Engineering: UFT or Waterloo?

coreyxjessica @ Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:02 pm wrote:
Tony @ Tue May 20, 2008 6:38 pm wrote:
What rizzix said.

Microsoft and Google are all over Waterloo, though I'm sure that they pick up students from UofT (or where-ever they find someone they like) as well. Though I believe Microsoft has quoted a "statistic" that they "hire more students from Waterloo than any other University".

Some residences are better than others. Aim for a suite style residence. Most of the surrounding area is also rented out to students, so you and some friends could rent an entire house together (I know a lot of people doing that).

Personally I find it that you get a lot more work done if you live close enough to the campus to casually go to the library, meet up with classmates, and study. Living home with parents might be cheaper, but it's usually much more anti-social. You should also consider that TTC commute sucks.

That's only because they're the smartest kids you can get that have not abandoned Windows completely. Look at MIT and their preference for open source and Unix based Operating Systems.

For what it's worth, many (if not most) UWaterloo CS/SE students I know don't use Windows as a primary OS, including some who have worked for MS. Most of the CS labs have unix-based OSs (Mac OS, Kubuntu, Solaris). Not saying it compares to MIT, but you have to give them some credit Wink.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:51 pm   Post subject: RE:Software Engineering: UFT or Waterloo?

@coreyxjessica -- if you were to attend Waterloo, you'd know that the Math department runs on Unix. You'd need to be able to ssh to the servers and navigate your way through the system to submit assignments. It's also to a student's advantage to develop in *nix environment, since it's simply easier (piping input files to STD, for testing, being the major thing) and don't require any translations (newline characters) before submissions.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
coreyxjessica

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 8:43 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Software Engineering: UFT or Waterloo?

Tony @ Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:51 pm wrote:
@coreyxjessica -- if you were to attend Waterloo, you'd know that the Math department runs on Unix. You'd need to be able to ssh to the servers and navigate your way through the system to submit assignments. It's also to a student's advantage to develop in *nix environment, since it's simply easier (piping input files to STD, for testing, being the major thing) and don't require any translations (newline characters) before submissions.

That may be true, but compared to say MIT the OS mainly used by the students is windows. If you search around on the MIT website or the Carnegie Mullen website or even the Virginia Tech website you'll see that they have a lot more non-windows users.
Robinking

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:48 am   Post subject: Re: Software Engineering: UFT or Waterloo?

How abt the University of Calgary when compared to UFT r Waterloo......in Software Engineering.........
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 19 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: