Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Waterloo residence question.
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Reality Check

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:06 pm   Post subject: Waterloo residence question.

So I am doing CS at waterloo next year and I wanted to get residence suggestions and insights on UW students. I never got a good chance to look at any of the places but I looked at V1 and I didn't like it at all. I also don't want a meal plan so I'd rather not do REV (unfortunately most people end up in village Sad). How are UWP and MKV?

I also had a question about streams. Are there specific streams that are easier for certain residences? I also heard one of the streams is easier to get into Co-Op? I honestly have no idea which to choose.

A final question as well, should I or should not bring my PS3? I have a pretty good self control but I am afraid it'll hinder the learning environment. I already procrastinate way too much...
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:48 pm   Post subject: RE:Waterloo residence question.

I lived in UWP for a term and I liked it there. Though in part that also depends on who your room-mates and your floor-mates are (Martin was my room-mate and md lived on our floor). We had adapted an open-door policy, propped our suite's door open for most of the time, and great fun has been had by all. MKV is similarly awesome, but I'm a fan of suite style residences, over single room dorms.

The new CS program (talked about here) will be stream-8 only, so you don't actually get any choice there.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:22 pm   Post subject: RE:Waterloo residence question.

All Math faculty programs, including CS, have eight months of school at the start now, but there are still streams after that in order to distribute people. I don't think anyone knows at this point what will be better for this or that. It's all new.

There are going to be piles of gaming and other distractions anyway, so I don't know that it makes that much difference about your PS3.
Reality Check

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:37 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo residence question.

I guess. I'm just worried the PS3 will ruin me. And I kind of like NOT having the choice lol. I was torn between the two streams but now I don't have to choose Smile.
Brightguy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:44 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo residence question.

I'd recommend V1 for those who don't want to cook for themselves, and UWP or MKV otherwise. MKV is newer but probably harder to get into since it's smaller. I lived in UWP for 3 terms and it was fine. One of my roommates I saw... twice. Eh
Reality Check

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:40 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo residence question.

So I got one more question. Where should my skills be at to attempt CS 145? I'm pretty confident in my Math and CS abilities. I got 62 on the Euclid (not great I know) and 3/5 on the CCC. I didn't prepare at all for either so that's why I scored low. My CS mark is 98% and my Math is 94% and overall I feel good about both. I know I'm not at the level of a lot of the people (I also know my enrollment in 145 is not guaranteed) that will be in 145 but I REALLY like CS and am prepared to work hard for it. I THINK I have abilities to succeed in it if I work hard.

Or is it better to play it safe and take the 135 course?
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:23 pm   Post subject: RE:Waterloo residence question.

It seems that the general approach to advanced Math has been to enroll into advance and switch out into regular once you realize that you are in over your head. I suppose it could be the same for 145/135, but it would be best to talk with a program advisor, regarding administrative gotchas, important dates, etc.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Reality Check

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:35 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo residence question.

Thanks Tony.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:21 pm   Post subject: RE:Waterloo residence question.

Are you still uninterested in anything that isn't Java or C++? There isn't a scrap of either in 145.

You'll have to apply and be selected to get in. Getting out is reasonably straightforward -- you move into 135, and can do so at any point during the term.
Reality Check

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 3:36 pm   Post subject: Re: Waterloo residence question.

Oh yeah I'm aware there isn't any Java or C++ in the 145. My love of programming really isn't in the select languages. It's just overall CS and learning a language isn't TOO hard. I just really like the problem solving and theory aspect of it (call me crazy lol). I guess it won't hurt to try and get in. Worst comes to worst, I drop it and move into 135.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: