Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 MS University of Calgary
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Dan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:25 pm   Post subject: RE:MS University of Calgary

Well one you get a masters in engnering and one is a masters in science (computer sicnence).

So the diffrences would be the same as the diffrences between electrical engerning and computer science.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rizzix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:17 pm   Post subject: RE:MS University of Calgary

Dan: Hey now. It's not. While Computer Eng and Electrical Eng might be similar. Software Eng is much different from Electrical.

How similar is Software Eng and CompSci at the masters level? I have no idea. I could take a wild guess that Software Engineering would be similar to Systems Engineering - with a ComSci twist.

I know what CompSci is like at the masters level. And there can be LOT of math involved Smile

Edit: All engineering involves a lot of math. So really you're looking at a math-math situation. However Engineering math can be more applied than theoretical, but this is not always true.
Robinking

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:50 pm   Post subject: Re: MS University of Calgary

"SE will be the same always n only the banner under which it is offered varies. Even in UofC only the Electrical and Computer Engineering dept offers Msc. SE (course based). This would be same as the SE offerec by Compsci Dept. " - I guess
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:56 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:MS University of Calgary

rizzix @ Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:17 pm wrote:
All engineering involves a lot of math. So really you're looking at a math-math situation. However Engineering math can be more applied than theoretical, but this is not always true.

Having done both Engineering and CS Math (albeit at an intro level), I can confirm that Engineering is more on the applied side of things (solve equations to calculate required forces), while CS Math is more abstract (such as various proofs). Though obviously there's some overlap, which will likely be great in Software Engineering, as there are less physical forces involved. Think computation of lower/upper bounds of complexities.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rizzix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:46 am   Post subject: RE:MS University of Calgary

Yes but Tony you'd have to keep in mind that at the Masters' level almost anything can shoot off into the theoretical world. However, yes, this could be less likely with a course-based program.

Btw, we did a bit on complexities in one of our courses in electrical eng. Its important not only for algorithms but also for digital circuits.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:56 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:MS University of Calgary

rizzix @ 1st June 2008, 9:17 pm wrote:
Dan: Hey now. It's not. While Computer Eng and Electrical Eng might be similar. Software Eng is much different from Electrical.

My interpation of the question was electrical eng vs computer sci at masters level, so i did not mean to side anything about computer enginering or software enginering or any kind of comparsion between any inter engeringer programs....
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Robinking

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:09 pm   Post subject: Re: MS University of Calgary

how abt the scope for JOB when done under Electrical n COmputer Engineering dept......?
Robinking

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:43 am   Post subject: Re: MS University of Calgary

How abt the placements and Scope of JOB after Msc. SE in university of calgary?

Especially how abt the placements in UofC?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:12 am   Post subject: RE:MS University of Calgary

There are no "placements" for jobs. You research who is hiring. You send in your resume. If it's good, you have an interview. If you are the best candidate for the job, you get hired.

That being said, a University degree does not necessary guarantee anything.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Robinking

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:53 am   Post subject: Re: MS University of Calgary

Is this the same for all the universities in canada?

i.e no campus interviews will be conducted for the PG courses in canadian varsities?
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 3  [ 40 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: