Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Computer Science @ Waterloo vs Engineering @ McMaster
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Waterloo CS or McMaster Engineering?
(No ending time set)
Waterloo CS
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
McMaster Engineering
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

xRishan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:24 pm   Post subject: Computer Science @ Waterloo vs Engineering @ McMaster

I applied for Software Engineering @ Waterloo but got an alternate offer in Computer Science, which offers specialization in Software Engineering. I also got accepted into McMaster for Engineering, which I plan on specializing in Software Engineering. However, I cannot decide between the two programs or schools.

Waterloo is known for their co-op and specialty in mathematics, which is why I'm leaning towards CS @ Waterloo. I think I would receive a better education and job experience. However, McMaster Engineering gives the prestigious engineering degree, which may lead to better job opportunities in the future.

Anyone care to share their thoughts? I am struggling to decide.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science @ Waterloo vs Engineering @ McMaster

It seems to me that the real choice is between Computer Science or Engineering as witch one you want willl influcence witch university you might want to go to.

Tony has a nice blog post about the diffrences between Computer Science and some of the other related degress that might help you out: http://compsci.ca/blog/6-degrees-of-computer-science/
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
xRishan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 10:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Computer Science @ Waterloo vs Engineering @ McMaster

Well, the main thing that is confusing me is that Waterloo says Computer Science students can specialize in Software Engineering. If that's the case, what is the advantage of taking a Software Engineering program vs Computer Science w/Software Engineering specialization? Does one offer a distinct advantage over another in terms of employment?
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:00 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science @ Waterloo vs Engineering @ McMaster

Computer Science, with any specialization is still part of the math faculty at Waterloo, while Software Engineering is in the faculty of engineering. This means that with CS you'll be taking more math courses and with SE you'll be taking more science courses. As for employment, I can't speak to that. Wink
xRishan

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:04 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Computer Science @ Waterloo vs Engineering @ McMaster

I understand all that, it's really just the employment that's bugging me. I've read that CS and SE both compete for the same jobs. Does one degree have an advantage over another?

Also, the reason why I'm bringing the debate between the universities in is because Waterloo's co-op program is highly regarded across Canada. McMaster also offers co-op, but (supposedly) Waterloo's is the best in Ontario. Wouldn't that give me better job connections and references for future employment?
Tony

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:20 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science @ Waterloo vs Engineering @ McMaster

In effect, SE and CS end up competing for the same jobs... Though think of it this way -- CS is Math, SE is business, but both compete for programming positions anyway, because there's the most of this kind of jobs posted.

My point is that each program has its own advantages and disadvantages.

Yes, Waterloo has an exceptional co-op program. It could be pretty amazing if you use it right. Though I've heard of things going horribly bad as well. Once again the experience largely depends on what you make of it. Simply going out to your local tech community events and meeting people will likely create more and better opportunities than simply though a University database.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
rizzix

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 11:38 pm   Post subject: RE:Computer Science @ Waterloo vs Engineering @ McMaster

I personally found software engineering (from what I've heard/seen) to be extremely boring. On the other hand, compsci is a lot more fun/interesting.
laurapo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:37 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Computer Science @ Waterloo vs Engineering @ McMaster

rizzix @ Wed 21 May, 2008 11:38 pm wrote:
I personally found software engineering (from what I've heard/seen) to be extremely boring. On the other hand, compsci is a lot more fun/interesting.

Why exactly is SE boring or CS interesting?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:01 am   Post subject: RE:Computer Science @ Waterloo vs Engineering @ McMaster

The range of jobs available to UW SE and CS graduates is pretty similar, and your competitiveness depends more on you than on what program you're in. As for the "engineer" designation, it won't help you much if you want a job that involves computation. It's different if you're building bridges.

By taking the SE option within CS, you get pretty close to the SE program. That option was designed as a trial run for the SE program, which is more constrained due to Engineering accreditation requirements (e.g. there's a required Chemistry course).
rizzix

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 1:30 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Computer Science @ Waterloo vs Engineering @ McMaster

laurapo @ Thu May 22, 2008 6:37 am wrote:
rizzix @ Wed 21 May, 2008 11:38 pm wrote:

Why exactly is SE boring or CS interesting?

SE talks about the design of real-world systems, while CS get to be more abstract. In SE you'll end up doing a lot of design-related courses, and they're all boring as hell. Also, only a few languages are taught in SE -- if that's an important criteria for you. Also almost every course I've seen in SE requires you to write pages and pages of reports on analysis of programs you've written as assignments or projects. However, if that's what you like doing, then it may not be so boring for you.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 10 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: