Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 What is the better University?
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
metachief

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:43 pm   Post subject: What is the better University?

I was wondering what were the recomended Universities to go to for a programmers career? I'm still in grd 10 and have 2 more years to think, but I would like some directions. I still dont know enough about programming careers so just asking you guys, if you are experienced in this subject, to give me some suggestions of what courses are necissary or recomended.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Ultrahex

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 6:24 pm   Post subject: Re: What is the better University?

No University is Better Then Another, It Just Depends on what you want in a University and what type of material you want taught (theoretical, more practical etc...).
nike52

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:49 pm   Post subject: Re: What is the better University?

Well, where the smartest and brightest cs students usually go is Waterloo.
Then University of Toronto.
Alot of other uni compsci are pretty goot too.
Now, come to think of it, if you go through the forum archives you should be able to see cs universities talked to death.
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:23 pm   Post subject: Re: What is the better University?

nike52 @ Fri May 16, 2008 9:49 pm wrote:
Really?
Mackie

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:27 pm   Post subject: Re: What is the better University?

nike52 @ Fri May 16, 2008 9:49 pm wrote:

You just opened a can of worms... or rather a can of deadly snakes and anthrax. Lets try to avoid a flame war people.
PaulButler

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:56 pm   Post subject: RE:What is the better University?

On the Student Life forums, it's easy to get the impression that UWaterloo has a monopoly on Canadian CS education. This really isn't the case. Asking which university is "better" is a hard question to answer, because the one that is better for you depends on your own interests, learning styles, etc.

The biggest variation in CS programs I've seen in my (limited) experience is practical vs. theoretical. Some universities CS programs involve more theoretical stuff, where others don't stray far from real world programming (again, based on my limited experience. The variation may not be as much as I imagine).
gitoxa

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:16 pm   Post subject: RE:What is the better University?

Or, you know, you can always say "down with the system," and not go to university.
But I think that's a whole new topic. Smile
rizzix

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:41 pm   Post subject: RE:What is the better University?

Its very unlikely anyone here can answer the questions of which university is better, since it's extremely rare to find anyone who has attended two different universities under the same program to make any comparison.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
McKenzie

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 7:45 am   Post subject: Re: What is the better University?

I suggest you head over to Tony's blog, he does a good job of looking at various Universities. The reason there is no "best" university is there are many, many aspects to look at concerning a University. What you need to is identify which University best meets your needs. To give you a few examples:

Difficulty of first year program:
Some universities have a very tough first year program and some have a fairly easy first year program. I can't tell you objectively that one is better than the other, but odds are one is BETTER FOR YOU. I don't know your skill level, and you don't even know exactly how skilled you will be when you graduate but you should have a good idea. If you are too skilled for a program you may become bored, if you are not skilled enough you may become frustrated (I know, the over-qualified may do extra outside class, and the under-qualified may rise to the challenge.)

City Setting
Some Universities are in towns that are very active and some are in much slower paced environments. Although a number of students rarely leave the campus itself, I think you need to see yourself living in the city. Ask yourself if it would be a good fit. Again there is no right or wrong choice but there are better and worse choices FOR YOU.

There are a load of other aspects of a university to look at. Do they have Co-op? How good is it? What are the class sizes like? What are the profs like? What about the TAs? Masters? PHd? What sort of research is going on? Any unique courses? How good are they?

In short no one can do your university research for you because YOU are the critical component that decides if any particular aspect is better or worse.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: