Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Can/should I follow 8-stream even though I'm not in co-op?
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
PaulButler

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:20 am   Post subject: Can/should I follow 8-stream even though I'm not in co-op?

I'm in non-coop CS at UW. I decided to work in my off-terms anyway. I'm considering following the 8-stream schedule anyway. My thinking is that this way, I can get more work experience by the time I graduate, and it's tempting not to have to stay in the same place for more than 4 months at a time.

First, will UW let me do this? I don't see anything that says either way from them, but I don't see why not. If so, does it involve a lot of formality, or is it just a matter of enrolling or not enrolling in courses each term?

Second, is it a good idea? If down the road I want a work-term with a large company like Amazon, are they going to be less likely to hire me in a non-spring term if I am not in coop? It seems the big American companies are used to summer internships, but not fall/winter non-coop internships?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 1:04 pm   Post subject: RE:Can/should I follow 8-stream even though I\'m not in co-op?

I don't think there's anything UW will do to prevent you from doing this. In fact, I plan on doing the same to get myself out of PDMath.

From what I hear, you might have to get a CS advisor to approve of your "change of plan" as you shift your on/off terms. A potential problem is that UW now does their advanced pre-enrollment thing, and you might be at a disadvantage for enrolling into difficult-to-get-into courses.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:01 pm   Post subject: RE:Can/should I follow 8-stream even though I\'m not in co-op?

I think Tony is right that advisor consent would be needed, over and over. Since you're, in effect, putting off your next term repeatedly, it shouldn't be a disadvantage for pre-enrollment.

Most non-coop students stick with summer work; getting a non-summer 4-month posting without CECS managing the logistics may be difficult. If you really want to move every four months, no one will stop you, but people like to avoid that as well. One possibility is arranging an 8-month internship starting in May.
ali_dada

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:22 am   Post subject: Re: Can/should I follow 8-stream even though I'm not in co-op?

Man, just do what I do...

get a IT/Comp. Sci. job for the 4 months (summer) in and around Waterloo area, then near the end of your work term, negotiate with them so they allow you to continue on CASUAL basis (weekends/days off ONLY if you have time - pretty much paid volunteering).

Then, the following summer, switch back to full time - this way by the time you graduate, you have solid experience and don't stay behind an extra year.
PaulButler

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:40 am   Post subject: Re: Can/should I follow 8-stream even though I'm not in co-op?

Thanks Tony and Prabhakar

ali_dada @ Fri May 02, 2008 8:22 am wrote:
Man, just do what I do...

get a IT/Comp. Sci. job for the 4 months (summer) in and around Waterloo area, then near the end of your work term, negotiate with them so they allow you to continue on CASUAL basis (weekends/days off ONLY if you have time - pretty much paid volunteering).

Then, the following summer, switch back to full time - this way by the time you graduate, you have solid experience and don't stay behind an extra year.

Thanks, but I don't mind staying behind an extra year and I like the idea of switching between work and school every four months. I also want to use my work terms as a way to move around a bit and see different places -- I haven't traveled extensively outside of the Atlantic provinces. So the more I can move around, the better, and I think following 8-stream would be one way to do this.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: