Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Ryerson
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Sevenheartz

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:19 pm   Post subject: Ryerson

I see a lot of threads/topics here about Waterloo, but my sister is really pushing me to go for Ryerson. I want to get into Computer Science; I love programming/coding and all that stuff, although that -may- change as I am going to take Computer Engineering next semester to see how it is. Is anyone at Ryerson and liking it? What good/bad things have you experienced/heard about Ryerson?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:47 pm   Post subject: RE:Ryerson

Why is she pushing towards Ryerson, in specific?

I haven't heard too much about Ryerson. Up until recently it used to be a college, though now it's an accredited University. It is generally well known for their arts program, and CS is perceived to be not as demanding as Waterloo or University of Toronto.

Although I've briefly looked over their program description, and it doesn't sound too bad. I'll look into it more, and publish a review on the blog, during the next week.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:47 pm   Post subject: RE:Ryerson

Ryerson seems alright, I applied there for Computer Science.

On one hand, their reputation is probably quite a bit below Waterloo and U of T, and you have to take into consideration what Tony said. However, they have a CS co-op program (while U of T doesn't), tuition is lower, and their new CS/engineering building seemed impressive when I visited. My brother graduated from Electrical Engineering there and was pretty happy with the professors and program. Waterloo is definitely much more prominent in Computer Science, but having a broader range of options won't hurt.

As with anything, it depends on what you're looking for...
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:59 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Ryerson

Gandalf @ Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:47 pm wrote:
However, they have a CS co-op program (while U of T doesn't)

UofT has a profession year, or something. 12~16 month paid internship time-slot, taken in the middle of the program.

Though to be fair, co-op is more of an overpriced, university run, job match service. Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely amazing for the first couple of years, and I'd recommend it to everyone in a tech oriented field. Though there's nothing stopping one from getting the same benefits from finding their own jobs during off-school terms.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sevenheartz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:15 am   Post subject: Re: RE:Ryerson

Tony @ Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:47 pm wrote:
Why is she pushing towards Ryerson, in specific?

I haven't heard too much about Ryerson. Up until recently it used to be a college, though now it's an accredited University. It is generally well known for their arts program, and CS is perceived to be not as demanding as Waterloo or University of Toronto.

Although I've briefly looked over their program description, and it doesn't sound too bad. I'll look into it more, and publish a review on the blog, during the next week.

She's going there, so she wants me there to, basically. Sad There's also the reason that it's closer than Waterloo and relatively closer than UofT. I may try to get out of it and apply to UofT (Waterloo is simply to far, my parents will definitely not allow me...), but yeah... I'll wait and check for your review, along with a bit of researching of my own before I reach a final decision. I'm still only in grade 11, so I still have time. Thanks for the replies, guys.
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:43 am   Post subject: RE:Ryerson

Ryerson and University of Toronto are a walking distance away from each other -- it's just a few subway stops. Waterloo is not that far. I live in North York, so it takes me an hour to get to UofT by public transit. In comparison, it takes 1.5 hours to drive to the University of Waterloo. Guelph is closer Wink

The point is, you get 3 "free" University applications + you can apply to more for a nominal fee. I suggest that you apply to whatever University your family is pushing towards, but then also apply to whatever University that _you_ want to attend. An application does not commit you to anything, but if you happen to get accepted to where you really want to go, you can make a case for going there, when the time comes.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:58 am   Post subject: Re: Ryerson

So your idea of "free" is $105, eh? And here I thought university students were supposed to be on a tight budget. Laughing

I had heard of the UofT Professional Experience Year, but I wouldn't want to base my opinion of CS work on one experience as opposed to four (?) with co-op. But then again, you avoid the hassle of four different interviews... Hmm...
Tony

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:09 am   Post subject: RE:Ryerson

that's why free was in quotes. You've got to pay, but when I was applying, this '3 Uni' package was mandatory.

As for the professional year, it's longer, so if you score a better position, you get to do more. It's a bigger chance though, because I've heard of some pretty bad placements.. at least through UW program. Though then again, you'll be getting your summer terms off, so you could work professionally during summers as well.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ali_dada

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 8:28 pm   Post subject: Re: Ryerson

I go to Ryerson and doing computer science. The university's program is pretty decent. I like it a lot. The professors are nice and approachable and you have a good class environment. Pretty easy to make friends and to form groups.

Beware though...Ryerson's computer science is INSANE when it comes to assignments/labs/projects with tons of theory to go with it.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: