Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Which one should I take? (at waterloo)
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MichaelM

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 4:35 pm   Post subject: Which one should I take? (at waterloo)

I've been accepted to computer science, bioinformatics and computational science all at Waterloo. I'm not sure which I should take, seeing that I enjoy and am pretty good at math, science and of course computer science. I'm curious to see which programs are the most work, and what kind of co-ops you'll end up with with each of them. I have a good understanding of the computer science program, but I'd like to find out what the difference is between bioinformatics and computational science, since they both seem to have a good balance of science and computer science. I've done plenty of reaserch on their site, and I went to the open house this past tuesday, but I'd like to hear what any students (past, present or future) have to say. Anyone's opinions on these three programs is appreciated.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:19 pm   Post subject: RE:Which one should I take? (at waterloo)

A program of choice does not limit your co-op options. Though you might have to explain how your program of study relates to the job you're applying for. Though ultimately it's about what you are capable of doing.

I figure that bioinformatics is technology (including programming, not necessary computer science) applied to the field of biology. Computer Science is less programming and more algorithms and design.. lots of math. Not sure about Computational Science.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Slam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:47 pm   Post subject: RE:Which one should I take? (at waterloo)

Based on the presentation bioinformatics is just biology, chemistry and comp sci, almost separated.
It's for people who want to do comp sci but need some bio background?

That's what I gathered from the presentation anyways.
Prabhakar Ragde

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:51 pm   Post subject: RE:Which one should I take? (at waterloo)

Tony is pretty right about jobs, except that there are some targetted for bioinformatics students.

Computational Science is Science with some CS courses, but they're CS minor courses, not the ones that CS majors take. CS majors also take better math courses.

Bioinformatics is built on top of the basic CS degree, and there are a couple of fourth year CS courses in bioinformatics that you pretty well have to be in the program to take. You can start in Bioinf and switch out of it to regular CS if you get interested in something else. Or you can take regular CS with a strong concentration in the Science courses you want.

So the question is where your interests lie and in how much flexibility you want.
MichaelM

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:49 pm   Post subject: Re: Which one should I take? (at waterloo)

Thanks for the feedback guys. Its just the choice between science and/or computer science for me right now...
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: