Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 University recommendations?
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
MistySteele

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:42 pm   Post subject: University recommendations?

Hi all. I'm in grade 11 right now, and I'm interested in studying computer science in university. Wondering if anyone has a recommendation of what school I should go to? Waterloo is the obvious choice (if I can get in), but I'm also considering Simon Fraser and Calgary, does anyone know anything about those? Also, as of now, I have very little knowledge of programming or computer hardware, and I have no opportunity to take a comp sci course in school (full IB doesn't give you the option T.T). Does this mean I will not be able to keep up with first year comp sci courses?
~Thanks
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Nick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:07 pm   Post subject: RE:University recommendations?

Quote:
Also, as of now, I have very little knowledge of programming or computer hardware, and I have no opportunity to take a comp sci course in school (full IB doesn't give you the option T.T). Does this mean I will not be able to keep up with first year comp sci courses?

read
Tony

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:10 pm   Post subject: RE:University recommendations?

first year compsci courses are generally structured to allow students with no programming background to keep up. Though that might require extra effort on your part. If you are in grade 11 now, that leaves you with two summers to pick up on some basics on your own.

Though if you've done very little CS, how do you know you want to pursue such a degree?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
MistySteele

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:26 pm   Post subject: Re: University recommendations?

Thanks for the article and the info, I'm definitely willing to put some extra effort in to learn on my own.
Tony wrote:

Though if you've done very little CS, how do you know you want to pursue such a degree?

Good point, I mean I've done some basic Python and I know some of the rudimentary concepts. It's not a lot, but I found it more fun than anything else I've done in school. I'm also quite interested in networks and such, not just the WWW but telnet and Usenet as well. I love math too, and I'm always the one my friends or family ask when they're having computer problems, although I guess that doesn't mean a lot. But you're right, I'm not sure this is what I want to do, it's only one option I'm exploring.
PaulButler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:59 am   Post subject: RE:University recommendations?

I came across an essay by Gordon Cormack, a UW CS prof that addressed this.

Quote:
[...] The CS department, rightly or wrongly, is not particularly impressed with the OAC computer science curriculum, and has not necessarily found students with high-school CS to be better prepared. Also, students often acquire the attitude that because they have become extremely skilled, or so they think, at the core competence level, that there are already expert computer scientists. Finally, UW does not want to exclude those who can acquire the skills in a reasonable time and do not take CS in high school. It is my personal opinion that this view is correct - certainly doing a bit of programming before coming to UW is an advantage, but in the long run, taking some more physics, or philosophy, or languages, etc. may well be more useful than formal training in CS.

The entire essay is here: http://plg.uwaterloo.ca/~gvcormac/labs.html
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: