Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Other than Waterloo?
Index -> Student Life
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
rdrake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:30 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Other than Waterloo?

Robert @ Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:09 pm wrote:
I also have a few cousins going to UOIT, which is a fairly new school. I don't know much about it, though.
Ask away!
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Nick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:39 pm   Post subject: RE:Other than Waterloo?

thanks Dan and Tony you both help in my decision of a school

rdrake, how much is it costing you for UOIT?
rdrake

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:53 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Other than Waterloo?

nick @ Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:39 pm wrote:
rdrake, how much is it costing you for UOIT?
$9000/year would be a generous estimate including tuition, the laptop, books, food, and whatever other hidden fees every school has. I'm not sure it's quite that high, but better safe than sorry I guess.
A.J

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:39 pm   Post subject: Re: Other than Waterloo?

for out-of-canada universities, i heard that UCBerkley is pretty amazing
Noam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:05 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:Other than Waterloo?

Tony @ Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:16 pm wrote:
Co-op is not the same for everybody.

First of all the expense -- at UW co-op comes with a ~$500 per term fee (but you get to use their job database and interview center).

You work for 6 terms, 4 months each. Assuming a starting rate of $16/hour with 40 hour weeks, you make about $11,000 per term. Of course there are expenses like income tax and cost of living during the work terms, but it's quite reasonable to have co-op cover all your expenses by the time you graduate.

$16 is a good starting rate to assume, but you might want to go with a lower rate of pay (some first term jobs pay as low as $10), just in case, so you can plan for the worst in your calculations. Smile

In any case, here are the salary surveys for the UW co-op program. Hope it helps.
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:14 pm   Post subject: RE:Other than Waterloo?

Obviously it's all over the place. Notice how the low range of students in their 4rd term make less that low range in 2nd or 3rd? Heh.

I actually know someone who ended up working for less than $10/hour, but those cases are rare. Research the company, ask questions during the interview, negotiate for the rate, and ultimately don't be afraid to turn down a low paying job (although there's more to this, research the subject well).
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 21 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: