Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 tony's new avatar
Index -> Off Topic
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Asok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:42 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I'll talk to shannon tomarrow. I don't know a Martin Kess, but then again, I don't get out much. Laughing
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 10:47 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Very Happy great. Tell her I got 56 on CCC. Which is actually better then last year's since its Senior Wink

I mentioned Martin cuz recentry he invited me to join development team of MMORPG in OpenGL. I'll be doing serverside programming and probably a bunch of 3D modeling. Although we do have someone else with experience.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Asok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

ah well what I'm doing is it's an MMORPG/Action basically do you remember Black and White? With the whole signature system? I'm essentially incorporating the mouse signature system into attacks so it doesn't seem repetitive. But we just started it recently, all we have is a graphics engine and now are setting up the classes and the GUI. (Setting up a GUI on a Half-Life mod is much easier than from scratch Confused ) We're working more on the programming aspect so models and textures will probably be taken from public sources for the time being. I'm still learning 3DSMax so hopefully after the break I can make some models.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

The good part of moving from SWAT to compsci.ca is that its now Computer Science... So I might share some of my 3DSMAX experience as well Wink

my online gallery http://tony-the-tiger.deviantart.com/thumbnails/
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Asok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:23 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

3DSMAX and Photoshop would definitely be cool (I'm limited in both but I'm working on it)

I still think the coolest thing about photoshop is the lens flare filter Wink
Dan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

i like using the eye candey moded and use the fiter fire. it is sooo cool. Wink

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.
Asok

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 11:39 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

nice use of the fire filter! I just have a punch of random pictures of Joe Lieberman's head on fire Wink

(For those of you who know little about U.S. politics, Joe Lieberman is a U.S. senator who is pushing for censorship in games and music in order to "protect the children"... I sent him a copy of Postal Laughing)

(For those of you who know little about games, Postal is a game where you go "postal" and kill innocent people (women, children, long wait lines,traffic, pretty much anything that would normally annoy you on a given day), actually a lot of fun, there is a sequel being released shortly.)
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:30 am   Post subject: (No subject)

that must have pissed him off... but hey, we NEED violence. Some poeple just dont understand how relaxing it is to take up a gun and run around killing stuff...

I mean you gotta take out your anger on something Wink

and its also very entertaining Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Asok

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I believe games avoid actual violence rather than insite them, it's a vent, a vice, so that one can remain calm etc.
Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 4:26 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

same here, and as far as i know all the studeys done on vailonte video game have fownd that on avage peloep that play them more are no more vilonte then poleop that play them less. also as for video games efecting your school wrok they fownd that there is litte efect on most poleop's gardes and acualy they fowned there was a slight increas in avage grade for poleop that play video then that don't Wink .

alougth i will admint that there are some poleop that get adctiited to them and go nuts, but for the avage persion this dose not hapen.

if you where whoding i heard that stuff about the studeys on a deomenty that was on t.v. about video games and if they where bad.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:56 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

naturally people think bad of videogames because they dont understand them. Videogame industry is quite new.

And you never hear in news something like "tony was playing in videogames on weekend, but still managed to finish all his homework". All you hear are the bad things so people tend to develop biest opinions.
Asok

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:14 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

well of course, cuz no one wants to hear about u and your homework Laughing

A lot of the negative impact is because you see headlines like "Games are now training the military" however what you don't see is "Game Simulators are now training doctors"

It doesn't really effect me, everyone can have thier own stance on it, but when somone is an extermist and tries to censor it, that's when I get ticked off.

The large argument is "Video Games disensitise our youth" hm... ok valid argument but then again, pretty much ALL media disensitises. There is something people refuse to accept, violence is entertaining. It is the physical conflict of entities that brings out the best, that's the entire conflict behind wresting (well that and girls with big hooters Shocked ) and that has grown into almsot a billion dollar industry over the past 30 years. The video game industry is allready a billion dollar industry just over the past 10 years (I say 10 years because thats when video games mave the move the more violent games such as Doom, and Duke Nukem rather than the previously known arcade style games. This was the period of the most rapid growth in the industry)

This has gone longer than I intended to, so I'll end by saying. "I have the right to defend myself from evil pixels plotting global domination or making pixels of mass destruction! And if that means I have to fight pixels with pixels then so be it!"
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:18 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

rofl, ya... pixels of mass destruction Twisted Evil

although its probably possibe to cause some kind of seasure if you play sertain movies on your computer... just a thought though Twisted Evil
Vicous

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:02 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

I don't know about you, but I like violence in my video games, so long as it's not too realistic eg. I want games about crime in the 50's, not crime in the new millenium
Tony

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

what about Halo? its a "shoot up those aliens with futuristic weapons" game

very popular actually
   Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 42 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: