Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 I need some tips with 3D graphics/coding
Index -> General Programming
Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:51 am   Post subject: Re: RE:I need some tips with 3D graphics/coding

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:34 am wrote:
You might learn a few things, but not as much as you'd learn actually making a game.

So having taken out all the engines, what are you left with for a game?

- User Interface
- scripting animations
- writing a story...
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:15 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:I need some tips with 3D graphics/coding

Tony @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:51 am wrote:
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:34 am wrote:
You might learn a few things, but not as much as you'd learn actually making a game.

So having taken out all the engines, what are you left with for a game?

- User Interface
- scripting animations
- writing a story...

I think it should be pointed out that learning to do these is not a bad thing. You will learn the same amount from making a game and making an engine. However, they teach different topics. Making a game (from an engine) focusses on the creative side (like artwork and design) and less about programming. Making an engine focusses on the technical side (like physics and math) and more about programming. What to do depends on what the original poster wants to learn. If the original poster wants to know how to write a good story and draw good artwork then do not bother writing a game from scratch. If the original poster wants to learn the more technical side of game making, then making an engine would be a good idea.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:47 pm   Post subject: Re: I need some tips with 3D graphics/coding

You definitely missed my point Tony. Read the part about "while making your game, develop tools that will help a specific aspect of your game." I'm quite certain I said something to that effect, because of course if you only script you aren't learning about a game engine at all.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:08 pm   Post subject: Re: I need some tips with 3D graphics/coding

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:47 pm wrote:
if you only script you aren't learning about a game engine at all.

So what's your distinction between the graphics engine, physics engine,... sound, animation, AI, networking, etc?

What's the difference between detecting polygon collision in 3D space for the purposes for graphics vs. detecting polygon collision in 3D for the purposes of collision-detection/physics? Or do physics also hinder learning and should be dropped in as a 3rd party library?
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:28 pm   Post subject: RE:I need some tips with 3D graphics/coding

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy, I have a question:

What is a game engine that I can use that will teach me a lot of programming concepts? I'm not worried about the programming language.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:13 pm   Post subject: RE:I need some tips with 3D graphics/coding

Tony missed the point again.

All I'm saying is one new guy with less than a few years experience programming in open GL or directx cannot create a worthwhile engine because he'll lose focus, won't know how to go about it, etc... If you think of all the people who've attempted to write a game engine on their own, you'll notice they were all noobs, failed, and learned there lesson.

A game engine is a huge undertaking that requires loads of experience, loads of time, and loads of people.

However if you want to create an engine the best way to go about it is to use an engine, create a game, figure out where the engine is lacking and add to the engine. Maybe you'll eventually decide the engine is flawed fundamentally and you need to recreate the whole thing.

ericfourfour, I don't know if you are being smug or what, but there is no engine designed to teach you programming concepts. But you can teach yourself programming concepts with the help of any engine.
md

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:02 pm   Post subject: RE:I need some tips with 3D graphics/coding

Writing a decent game is not the point. Learning is the point.

So what if the engine sucks and doesn't do everything? It doesn't have to do anything. So long as he (or anyone) learns something from writing it then it's served it's purpose.
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:17 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:I need some tips with 3D graphics/coding

md @ Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:02 pm wrote:
So long as he (or anyone) learns something from writing it then it's served it's purpose.

And that, abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy, is the point. Wink
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Clayton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:41 pm   Post subject: RE:I need some tips with 3D graphics/coding

Also note that a "worthwhile" game engine is very much representative of one's viewpoint. If one has had nothing to do with the development of said engine, and the engine sucks, then you will think it is a complete waste of your time. However, the person who actually wrote it, probably their first, will think quite differently.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 2  [ 24 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: