Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Any Easier Way for Sprite Graphics?
Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> 2D Graphics
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Zampano

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:12 pm   Post subject: Any Easier Way for Sprite Graphics?

After my disillusioning encounter with Pic.Draw, I decided to change course and instead make the animation using sprites (which is fitting to the production I am making). Of course, I'm running into the same number of problem trying to import from animated GIF files, but that much is up to me to sort out. My real plight is such:
The nature of the production demands that I continuously enter in sequences of sprites, and to make the animation as smooth as possible, I've been altering the positions of the sprites manually in Paint, using copy and drag (centering them, and the like). However, I'm running into trouble. I can't possibly be accurate enough to situate all the sprites at the same spot in the picture, so when I finally place the pictures together, all I get is my character doing what I made the sequence to do, except each frame he moves 1 or 2 pixels in one direction or another (this is because of my inaccuracy in Paint).
To get all the sprites in perfect place will take months of fruitless effort at the rate I am going. Is there any way to automatically place the sprites, or am I stuck using my eyes as best I can?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 2:09 pm   Post subject: RE:Any Easier Way for Sprite Graphics?

well zampano im assuming this is in turing (because of the pic.draw problem) the reason your GIFs arent working is because turing only supports GIFs on ver 4.1

however if you created your sprites in a standalone picture i could upload the sprite module i created to help you out

it will be in turing submissions later today
Clayton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:56 pm   Post subject: RE:Any Easier Way for Sprite Graphics?

Zampano, the only thing that I can think of is using Photoshop (or some other equivalent) that uses masks, and will automagically crop the picture down to just one thing. Other than that, :shrug:
Zampano

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:35 am   Post subject: Re: Any Easier Way for Sprite Graphics?

Thanks momop.
My problem is not actually with the nonfuntional gifs (they work fine) but rather with having the character centered through consecutive frames. I also cna't exactly crop because the character will be changing shape often in the sequence, making him uncentered.
Because I am new programmer, I'm not exactly sure how the module will help me but I'm sure I can figure it out.
Mazer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:46 am   Post subject: RE:Any Easier Way for Sprite Graphics?

You can either manually go through each frame and determine a common point (say, the character's waist) and store this information somewhere to use as an offset when drawing, or you can make each image as big as the largest (ie, the one(s) that takes up the most space vertically and horizontally) and then use a program like GIMP (you do not need to pirate Photoshop for this goddamnit) and position the layers on top of each other to that a common point on each frame is aligned. Yes, it'll be a pain in the ass.

Alternatively, I understand that quite a few indie game developers like to use a program called Graphics Gale for making their sprites. I don't know exactly what it's capabilities are, but it was made for the kind of thing you're trying to do so it might be worth looking into.
Zampano

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:08 am   Post subject: Re: Any Easier Way for Sprite Graphics?

Well, it looks as if I'm going to have to do it the pain in the neck way. The trouble with common points is that every point on the character seems to move at least a bit. But I'll sort through it, and I'll submit to the site in a month or so.
lordroba

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:04 pm   Post subject: Re: Any Easier Way for Sprite Graphics?

i've been working with sprites for quite some time now and I've cropped and made hundreds of them especially after manually importing the from Final Fantasy Tactics into my Phantom Gear game. If you post, or send me copy of them I can see what I could do and offer you further advice.
Zampano

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:23 pm   Post subject: Re: Any Easier Way for Sprite Graphics?

Really? Thanks! The animated gifs I've done so far are at school so I'll send you the work I've completed up until this point on Monday.
The character I'm animating is Zero from Mega Man X5: http://www.sprites-inc.co.uk/files/X/Zello/X4-X5/
The one question that I really ask you now is how you would proceed to join multiple frames of the character while he is jumping or running; during these times, there is no part of the character's body which remains stationary.

Once again, thank you.[/url]
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Zampano

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:36 am   Post subject: Re: Any Easier Way for Sprite Graphics?

Okay. This is what I've done so far spritewise. Surprisingly, I was able to do zerorun with less difficulty than I expected. Everything is, in my opinion, quite smooth.
Any advice or feedback is appreciated.

Zero Adventure.zip
 Description:
My work so far on Zero sprite Animation.

Download
 Filename:  Zero Adventure.zip
 Filesize:  84.64 KB
 Downloaded:  295 Time(s)

Index -> Graphics and Design, Graphics -> 2D Graphics
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: