Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 I/O for October competition
Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
jondmml

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:01 pm   Post subject: I/O for October competition

Hi, is it possible for someone to upload the 5 test cases for each problem in the October competition so that I can check them out against my programs? Thanks
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 7:30 pm   Post subject: RE:I/O for October competition

I plan to make the dwite site do this in one fourm or another. If i do not have it on the dwite.org site on monday i will post it in a txt file format on this site.
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
Dan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 9:58 pm   Post subject: RE:I/O for October competition

I have updated the contest page so you can view the test cases for past contests.

http://dwite.org/home/contest/3
Computer Science Canada Help with programming in C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB and more!
jondmml

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:36 pm   Post subject: RE:I/O for October competition

Thanks for uploading the test cases!

EDIT:

So I checked all my team's programs against the test cases and came up with way different results than those posted on the website. This makes me wonder if there are still problems with using Turing in the competition. They all ran instantly (way under 2.5 seconds) on my computer. We were using Turing v4.05. In the competition, we got one or two right for each of the first four questions while according to my tests we should have gotten all 5 correct. Only in the last problem did we have two cases that failed.

So is there still a compatibility problem with Turing?

Thanks,

Team [6a61686d]
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:42 am   Post subject: RE:I/O for October competition

There are no compatiblity problems with turing, if you whont i could look over the judge logs and see what happend.

Some times you can get marked wrong if you put to many spaces infront of or behind your output or if you put cpatials where there should be none. Also make shure you are outputing to the right file.

Edit: After looking at your submissons closer (including using a hex editor on the output file to view it down to what bytes where in it) it seems you might be right. My current theroy is that the problem was aucatly with the team that submited right befor you. It whould seem they some how set the file to read only and the judge could not delete the file. You should have got full marks on at least question 1 and 2 (i did not look at 3 yet) however since the team doing that question befor you screwed up the output file you got marked on there last test case for all test cases.

I am realy sorry about this and i will deftaly make shure the judge can delete files no matter whant for the next contest and try to find out how or why some teams are seting the output file to read only (i do not think they are doing it initenaly but the langue dose it as a side effect).
Euphoracle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:54 am   Post subject: RE:I/O for October competition

When I used turing, it didn't let you control the file writing. It always put extra junk in the file.
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:43 am   Post subject: Re: RE:I/O for October competition

Euphoracle @ 15th October 2007, 6:54 am wrote:
When I used turing, it didn't let you control the file writing. It always put extra junk in the file.

Well from what i have seen in this case above the only extra chars that turing adds are \r\n witch is noraml consdering the turing put stament is equvelent to the println in java. I am still not shure what langue is seting everything to read only but the easyest soultion for the next contest will be to have the judge reset the file permisons affter each test case and run and then delete the files rather then just trying to delete them right away.

The other issue that could be casuing it are process not finishing corectly when the judge kills them so they keep a hold on a file and stop any other program from deleting to righting to it. I will have to kind a method for issuing a higger process interpout in windows then java dose when you issue destory on a process.
jondmml

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:15 pm   Post subject: RE:I/O for October competition

So this problem can occur to anyone, not just people using Turing?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Dan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 12:23 pm   Post subject: RE:I/O for October competition

Well it depends on how the langues file i/o works. Some langues when starting a new file to output to seems to delete the file and start over so the read only goses away and they write to the file. Others seem try to write over the file in witch case the read only status blocks it.

Turing seems to be one of the 2nd and a read only status on the file will make the file stream return an error when you try to output somting. (tho oddly it lets you open it for writing and dose not error till the put statment)
   Index -> CompSci.ca, Contests -> DWITE
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 9 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: