Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 UofT vs Waterloo (Engineering)
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
person

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:27 pm   Post subject: UofT vs Waterloo (Engineering)

Hi, I'm seriously considering between UofT Engineering Science and Electrical/Computer Engineering at Waterloo. I was thinking since a lot of the people here are university folk, I was wondering if I could get some advice.

Here is my situation:
1) I don't know if I will be pursuing a master's degree after undergrad.
2) Cost of the university will not be an issue.
3) If I go to UofT I will try for PEY. If I go to Waterloo, I will try for Co-op.

Thanks, anything will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Skynet

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:45 pm   Post subject: Re: UofT vs Waterloo (Engineering)

Are you more attracted to the theory or the practical side of engineering?

From most of what I've heard, EngSci is a better choice for the theoretical, and UW ECE is better for the practical.

Also, co-op kicks the PEY's ass. (I'm obviously biased, but it seriously is much better)
Cervantes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:47 pm   Post subject: RE:UofT vs Waterloo (Engineering)

UofT's engineering science program is ridiculously hard. It's definitely one of the most difficult programs in Canada. My brother went through it. He's very smart, and when asked if he would do it again he will say yes some days, and no others. I don't mean to discourage you from doing Engineering Science: if you get through it, you will have had a very broad education. Just, be prepared.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:27 am   Post subject: RE:UofT vs Waterloo (Engineering)

How about UofT's undergraduate computer science program? Does anyone know someone in it? How does it compare to Waterloo's? I suppose Waterloo has a larger and better co-op program, but there are other factors which it's a bit harder to compare or find information on. Thanks. Smile
Clayton

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:30 am   Post subject: RE:UofT vs Waterloo (Engineering)

:O It's [Gandalf]!
Tony

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:37 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:UofT vs Waterloo (Engineering)

Gandalf @ Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:27 am wrote:
but there are other factors which it's a bit harder to compare or find information on. Thanks. Smile

What kind of factors do you have in mind?

Having lived in Toronto, I know that the daily commute through their public transit would have been an absolute nightmare. I get really fed up with it at the end of every work term. This point is obviously not Computer Science specific, but I just figure that I wouldn't be able to get myself through UofT, unless I would manage to find somewhere very close to live. There are a lot of advantages with being able to casually walk to campus.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 3:36 pm   Post subject: Re: UofT vs Waterloo (Engineering)

Aye it is me, hello. Razz

True, but I've gotten used to the TTC over the years, so transportation isn't that massive of a problem. I'd consider it more of a neutral issue because this way I would get the benefits of not having to pay for a place to live as well. Anyway, right now I'm trying to explore the actual programs further before worrying about those "minor" details. Smile

For the moment I'm more concerned about things such as content quality/difficulty, learning and general campus environment, reputation, along those lines.
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 7 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: