Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Grouping
Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
klopyrev

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:40 am   Post subject: Grouping

Suppose you are given a group of people who need to be seated at tables during an event for several rounds. There is a limit to the maximum number of people at a table. Each round consists of people introducting themselves to each other. At the end of a round, the people get up and move to their next assigned table. If two people who have already met end up at the same table, that is a collision. Also, you are told that some of the people met before the event. These people are given in pairs. The input is as follows.

1) The number of people. (1 < N < 100)
2) The maximum number of people per table (1 < P < 10)
3) The number of rounds (0 < R < 10)
4) Several pairs of numbers, A and B, which mean that A and B have already met and them being at the same table would be a collision.

Note: At the conclussion of the round, if A and B were at the same table, they are considered to have met for the next round.

The task is to provide a list of table assignments for each of the people attending the event. Tables are labelled by letters and people by numbers. This list of assignments should maximize the number of people who have met and minimize the number of collisions.

KL
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
klopyrev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 5:18 pm   Post subject: Re: Grouping

Is anyone going to reply and help me out... Crying or Very sad
Cervantes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:08 pm   Post subject: RE:Grouping

It's a tough problem; you might have to give it time. Also, your post never suggested you needed help. I interpreted it as, "hey everyone, look at this cool problem I've found. Can you solve it?", not, "Can someone help me solve this?"
klopyrev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:11 pm   Post subject: Re: Grouping

Sorry, forgot to mention that I can't solve it myself. If anyone can think of a solution, please tell me.

KL
Fevian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:10 pm   Post subject: RE:Grouping

Well, are you making a program for this or is just a math problem. If it's just math, make a few linear equations, with an x and y. You'll also for a couple of them have to use R and P so you can get that. Other than that, it's just points, graphing, blah blah. Algebra.
klopyrev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:31 pm   Post subject: Re: Grouping

I have no idea how to make linear equations from the question above. Please explain.

KL
ericfourfour

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:32 pm   Post subject: Re: Grouping

klopyrev wrote:
maximize the number of people who have met and minimize the number of collisions.

Those two words make me think quadratics. Although, I really have no clue how to solve this problem.
klopyrev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:52 pm   Post subject: Re: Grouping

Hello? Anyone there???
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:18 pm   Post subject: RE:Grouping

Quote:

This list of assignments should maximize the number of people who have met and minimize the number of collisions.

I'll give you a tip, once you've determined all possible different combinations for a given number, all of the future combinations will ALWAYS be collisions. So all you have to do is develop one equation or algorithm that finds all possible combinations, by doing this you have succeeding in achiefing the minimal amount of collisions.

Does that help?
klopyrev

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:26 pm   Post subject: Re: Grouping

I don't get what you mean by all possible combinations for a given number.
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 6:37 pm   Post subject: RE:Grouping

The number of people would be the "given number".

Now this would depend on T for number of tables.

Normally N^2 would give you the possible combinations, but since you wan't to minimize collisions you have to weed out the combinations which consist of the same numbers being reversed or reused in a combination. I.E. all the 1-1's, 2-2's.

I guess I mine as well just do it for you...

EDIT: hold on, i'll give you an equation, the one i posted previous didn't work.

((N^T - N)/2) = TotalCombosWithoutCollisions. Don't ask me to do the boring tedious part of printing out all different combos, i'll leave that to you, hopefully you know how to do a for loop and print to the standard output.

Do you get it now klopyrev?

Rounds R would fit in to figure out if there will be any collisions and if so how many.

So if ((N^T - N)/2) > R*T then you won't have an collisions. If you do have collisions than you will have R*T - ((N^T - N)/2) collisions.

Freakman Edit: Triple post combined into one, there's an edit button for a reason.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 11 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: