Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 How to assemble a team.
Index -> General Programming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
md

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:59 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:How to assemble a team.

ericfourfour @ Thursday 2007-01-18 7:30 pm wrote:
StealthArcher @ Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:26 pm wrote:
BTW what do you think an effiecient and easy to leanrn lang. is?

It is very funny that you ask that question in this community. Everyone will recommend Ruby. Smile

Nope. I recommend Pascal.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:55 am   Post subject: Re: How to assemble a team.

Quote:

I'd suggest you forget about a game then. Games are (generally) bad tools for learning about programming. Learning to program in general is transferrable to game programming, but it doesn't work the other way around.

Care to explain? I think, as long as a person reads and studies their language simultaneously, programming anything can be a benifit. Why? You can read all the information you want but the only information that is going to stick is the kind you use. Programming something, especially a game, will postulate new questions as well as apply newly learned material. To the poster: if a game is what you want to program than don't let these simpletons who probably attempted but failed to program a game themselves get in your way. Try it and fail (most likely)! At least you'll learn lots in the process.

But, Turing sucks so by programming a game in it you won't learn anything useful... you'll probably end up harming yourself...
StealthArcher

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:44 am   Post subject: RE:How to assemble a team.

BTW looks like ill have to use pascal, ruby interferes with the gimp, which is my only graphics program...
rdrake

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:14 am   Post subject: Re: How to assemble a team.

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy @ Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:55 am wrote:
Care to explain?
He's saying that by doing a game and concentrating on graphics and such, many students get distracted and do not learn the rest of the language.

Take me for example, many years ago I was in TIK 201. I had no idea what an array was, but my pong game sure worked well.

The point is that many early programmers are easily distracted. Games distract these potential programmers from learning the language, which is really important.

StealthArcher @ Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:44 am wrote:
BTW looks like ill have to use pascal, ruby interferes with the gimp, which is my only graphics program...
GTK+ interferes with GIMP, you can choose not to install it with the Ruby installer. Ruby does nothing itself.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:19 am   Post subject: RE:How to assemble a team.

You programmed pong without knowing what an array was?

I guess I'm different. I take a logical approach to everything. For instance, if I'm going to program a game I first attempt to learn the language (or simultaneously) because its quite obvious the more you understand the language the better your game will be.
Clayton

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:59 am   Post subject: Re: How to assemble a team.

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy wrote:

if a game is what you want to program than don't let these simpletons who probably attempted but failed to program a game themselves get in your way.

I'll thank you not to say something like that again. I am a firm believer in the fact that programming games detracts from other elements of programming. Not to mention that many people aren't all that interested in programming games, does that make them simpletons too? Perhaps you should think about what you say before you speak next time.
md

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:05 am   Post subject: Re: RE:How to assemble a team.

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxy @ Friday 2007-01-19 9:19 am wrote:
You programmed pong without knowing what an array was?

I guess I'm different. I take a logical approach to everything. For instance, if I'm going to program a game I first attempt to learn the language (or simultaneously) because its quite obvious the more you understand the language the better your game will be.

Pong is easy without arrays; as are many games. You simply end up with a rediculous number of variables with similar names, and either a large number of procedures that have similar names but act on the differnt global variables; or no procedures at all. I've seen it done. Games are a VERY poor way of learning to program. Once you have have a good understanding of programming however games can be a good way of learning how to organize code, where to split things into modules/classes, etc.
ZeroPaladn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:32 pm   Post subject: Re: How to assemble a team.

An MMORPG with only 3 months experience will be very troublesome. I somewhat agree that making any program, game or otherwise will let you learn the language, but with only 3 months experience I'm led to beleive that you know little of functions, flexible and multi-dimentional arrays, records, modules, classes, ect. The list goes on. Without decent knowledge of all of these and more, you will have a rediculous amount of code. Even when you learn all this stuff, it's alot of code regardless. Stick with your school classes, and do some extra cirricular coding. Attempting a game of this type of structure with little experience is hopeless. It's just too much code, with no immediate gratification, and this will eventually lead to giving up. I've tried. Me and Shyfire (formerly fatboi) and MixMastaM8trix tried and failed. Kudos for trying, but don't feel bad when you feel overwhelmed.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:42 pm   Post subject: RE:How to assemble a team.

I agree with ZeroPaladn. (That's why I said: "try and fail") Because only a super-motivated person could possibly succeed. A better start would be to make games like pong and move your way up.

And I appologize Freakman that you misunderstood. I wasn't calling anyone a simpleton---if you noticed I mentioned that everyone would fail. I just think that anyone who tells you you can't do it should be thought of as little more than a simpleton. That way it detracts their ability to get in your way. Very Happy
Robert

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:32 am   Post subject: RE:How to assemble a team.

Keep in mind that developing an Online RPG starts off at a very slow pace. If you're someone who needs to see results the second you start a project, prepare for a steep learning curve.

And as a side note, I actually had written a very crude version of the Celestial Conquest server in Turing early on in the development. It can be done, but it's extremely inefficient. The Net module doesn't allow multiple connections to one socket at a time, and because of this you'll be listening on as many ports as you want users. Basically you're screwed once you get more than a few users online.

With only 3 months of experience, I'd suggest taking on a less ambitous project.

Edit: And learn Perl, not Ruby or Python. Razz
StealthArcher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 6:52 pm   Post subject: RE:How to assemble a team.

I might have too, no matter what i tell ruby not to install, it still interferes with my gimp....

EDIT: and to rob, i can be content with walking around alone, and with a map editor that i made for at least 3 months, enough time to hopefully learn as much as i did in turing in a nother lang. i can stick with that, after that, a battle system i can use alone will suffice for a long time, i dont need to do anything online to satisfy myself for a long time.
StealthArcher

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 11:06 pm   Post subject: RE:How to assemble a team.

BTW how do you make ruby run as a base window, in which to typr in my code, i see lots of little programs ,and a readme in an uninterpretable file type (.1st) but not much else in instruction.
Robert

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:03 am   Post subject: RE:How to assemble a team.

If Ruby is anything like Perl (Which I've been ensured it is), you'll need your favourite handy dandy text processor (like notepad or wordpad). Then you'll likely run the program in command prompt with something along the lines of "ruby yourprogram.rubyextension".

Someone correct me if my assumption is wrong.
wtd

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:41 am   Post subject: RE:How to assemble a team.

Your assumption is correct. Irb is also handy.
md

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:18 pm   Post subject: Re: RE:How to assemble a team.

Robert @ Sunday 2007-01-21 9:03 am wrote:
...Which I've been ensured it is...
Assured, the word is assured.
   Index -> General Programming
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 2 of 3  [ 34 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: