Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Valid xhtml links to google maps?
Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 1:06 pm   Post subject: Valid xhtml links to google maps?

Anyone know if it's possible? I don't mean a link to maps.google.ca, but rather, a link to a specific location on a map (ie, search for something on google maps, click the "link to this page" and copy the URL). I can understand that it's a relatively long and complicated URL, but does anyone know if it's possible to link to it in a transitional xhtml document without 60 (if I were exagerrating, I'd have used words like "shitload" or "metric crapload") errors, warnings, and info from the validator?

At the end of the day, it really isn't necessary. The page in question is pretty small, and I know everything else on it checks out just fine. It's just nice to see that "Passed validation" notice.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 2:31 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

might be a bit of an overkill, but you could cache the google maps locations in a database, and link to a script that redirects to appropriate map.

This way you also don't have hardcoded map locations... you know, in case anything moves.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Mazer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 3:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Tony wrote:
This way you also don't have hardcoded map locations... you know, in case anything moves.

Like the building? Wink
A database would be a bit much. Nothing else on the site will actually be making use of one, and now that I think of it, I won't have access to a database anyways.

EDIT: Got it. Ampersands in URLs.
   Index -> Graphics and Design, Web Design -> (X)HTML Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 3 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: