Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 ECOO
Index -> Contests
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
zylum

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

zylum wrote:
anybody mind posting the problems?

k its april now... can you guys post the problem set? ill try giving an analysis of each problem.
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:25 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

zylum wrote:
anybody mind posting the problems?

pleaasssseee Crying or Very sad
Drakain Zeil

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:29 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Contest is getting closer, best of luck to everyone. Anyone here going to London on the 29th?
Chinchilla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:59 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Just got back from regionals, and I'm going onto finals Smile

I got perfect scores on the first and second problem and I did them within an hour. I started on the 4th problem, did it, and got correct output (but it took awhile for it to generate the output) so I spent time trying to make it more efficient, ended up doing that, and called them over, got only 2 of the test cases right because they said that each letter had to be a unique digit even though it didn't state it in the fucking problem, so we spent the next half hour arguing with them, don't know why I didn't just fix it but yea =\ (we still only got 40 points). The third problem was a graphics one so no one in my team could do it.

The blonde coordinator is a bitch.

We came in 7th place (philip pocock catholic secondary school)
JackTruong

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Problem 3 was a unique problem, I never worried about a graphics class in a contest until today. Our team managed to solve 1 and 2 within the last hour, and solved #4 after the contest finished.

We ended up 16th, whereas the other team from our school made it 10th.
Chinchilla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 3:52 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

were you in the same room as me? We had that blonde coordinator, and there was that hot girl in a team sitting at the desk in front of where the pizza was served. If so you probably seen that spikey haired guy argue with the judges for awhile, than he called me up to argue with him.
JackTruong

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:38 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yep, I was at the York Regionals. We were the team in the furthest left (score board left) in the middle. I wasn't paying much attention to the surroundings, so I probably missed it.
MysticVegeta

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Now can someone post the questions for the previous contest??
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Chinchilla

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:30 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yea ok, I don't have a scanner so I'm just typing this up. These are the problems for the boardwide ECOO competition 2006.

Problem 1: Fibonacci's Rabbits

The well-known Fibonacci sequence 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,.... is based on the proposition that, given that any pair of rabbits will produce a new pair of rabbits every month for ever, except in the first month after their birth. The sequence gives the number of pairs of rabbits that there would be in any given month.

That is:
- starting with 1 newborn pair in month one,
- which would still be 1 pair of rabbits in month two,
- which would be 2 pairs in month 3 (since this pair would produce a new pair in month 3
- there would be 3 pairs in month 4 (since the first pair would produce a new pair)
- there would be 5 pairs in month 5 (since the first two pairs would produce a new pair... etc.)

But supposed, that, instread of living forever, and reproducing endlessly, each pair of rabbits would only live for 5 months, and therefore only produce 3 new pairs before they died. The sequence then would run: 1,1,2,3,5,6,10,14,.....

And if each pair would live for only 3 months, the sequence would become: 1,1,2,1,2,1,2,...

DATA11.txt (DATA12 for the second try) contains 5 lines of two positive integers, A and B. The integer A represents the number of months each pair of rabbits lives, 2 < A < 101. The integer B, 2 < B < 101, represents the number of months that have passed when the count of the number pairs of rabbits occurs. A and B will have values such that the number of pairs of rabbits will never exceed 999 999 999.

Output should be on a cleared screen or window, and will state the number of rabbit pairs in each of the 5 cases. Output should appear as in the example below.

Sample Input:

5 10
30 30
12 40
4 40
6 49

Sample Output:

in problem #1 there are 30 rabbit pair(s)
in problem #2 there are 832040 rabbit pair(s)
in problem #3 there are 95539192 rabbit pair(s)
in problem #4 there are 65657 rabbit pair(s)
in problem #5 there are 74044619 rabbit pair(s)

That took longer than expected D: I'll post the next one after I finish watching without a trace.

Yay, back, time for edit.

Problem 2: Flip Twice Cypher

Consider the 27 characters composed of a blank and the 26 capital letters of the alphabet:
" ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ"
They can be written, according to their position in the string, as a number between 0 and 26 inclusive. In base 3 these numbers would be written with exactly 3 digits, from 000 for blank to 222 for the last letter, "Z"

The "Flip Twice Cypher" divides a message into pairs of characters as shown in the diagram below. In an example such as "HELLO WORLD", there is an odd number of characters, so a dummy character (the X) is added to make a final pair. The most significant digit from the base 3 number of each letter is switched between each pair. The characters then form new pairs, by turning to the other neighbour as shown and switching the least significant digits. Since the first and last characters have no partner, they perform the switch with each other. The result is a new set of base 3 numbers, which again can be turned into letters. The coded message now reads: "FCNLFKLXIVUH"

//crude copy of image:

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

//the sqwiggles between what look like numbers represent the switches, note the switch from the first char to the last char for the least significant digit. The lyric isn't in the picture.

DATA21.txt (DATA22 for the second try) contains 5 lines of text, each representing one encoded message. It is your job to decode this message and display it on the screen as in the sample below. No line will contain more than 250 characters. Output may wrap if it does not fit on one line. Note that if a line contains an odd number of characters, you must assume the existence of a last (phantom) blank character.
//oooooohohoohoo phantom character :O

Sample Input: (only 3 of 5 lines are shown)
FCNLFKLXIVUH
LQCRRISBHCT KND OF SICCKIX CONDBIXRBHCB ALJFFB ZEAFISSZZ
BZEAIXJTCOJFFBRUHK XZM TDLABDLS SOIA TFCBW

Sample Output: (only 3 of 5 lines are shown)
HELLO WORLDX
NOW IS THE TIME FOR ALL TO COME TO THE AID OF THE PARTYX
THE SPRING OF TWO THOUSAND AND SIX IS HERE

yay, time for another delay before next edit. Head is sinking Smile
alpe

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 8:53 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

So the Finals were today!

1. Vaughan Road Academy
2. AY Jackson SS
3. Vincent Massey SS
4. Resurrection CSS (my school Smile )

And I really wanted a shiney medal.
Andy

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:34 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

massey got 3rd? good job guys. man i wish we competed in this contest a couple of years ago..
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:00 am   Post subject: (No subject)

oh be quiet Andy. I wanted to form a team but nobody was interested, so I didn't get to go... Besides I'm not keen on one-man teams......
McKenzie

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 8:21 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Sorry guys, it took me a bit to see the value in these contests. As far as the one-man-show goes bugz, thats the last thing Andy and I wanted, but the problem was the strong programmers didn't want to be on Andy's team because they wanted to earn their own way. We ended up with with Andy and some good programmers, but guys that couldn't help Andy much.
Oh congrats alpe, you guys jumped from like 7th at regional to 4th at provincial, that's a good showing.
bugzpodder

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2006 10:55 am   Post subject: (No subject)

Hi Mr. Mckenzie. Well, I was just commenting on Andy Sun's comments on how he wanted to go. what i meant was when I wanted to participate, I could not get any other member to go with me, much less good programmers...

Ditto to congrats on Massey team's achievements. Very impressive indeed. I probably could not have done better myself.
   Index -> Contests
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 3 of 3  [ 44 Posts ]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: