Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 Another Highscore Technique
Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
GregLP

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:15 pm   Post subject: Another Highscore Technique

While I was making my first game with actual highscore, I discovered a very quick way to record the numbers.

It starts off with a procedure to get the scores out of the file:

The array which has the highscores from the file should be one greater in number of elements than the total number of highscore places you would like. (so, have 1..11 if you want 10 spaces)

code:

procedure ReadHighScores (var Scores : HighScoreType)                                                   
    var Counter := 1
    var HighScoreFile : int                                                                             
    open : HighScoreFile, "High_Score.txt", get                                                         
    loop
        exit when eof (HighScoreFile)                                                                 
        get : HighScoreFile, Scores (Counter)                                                           
        Counter += 1                                                                                   
    end loop                                                                                           
    close : HighScoreFile                                                                               
end ReadHighScores

This procedure accesses the file High_Score and gets all the values in it into the array (In this tutorial I used 10 values in the file)

Then, the 11th element gets the time/score that the user just got:

code:

Scores (11) := TotalTimeElapsed 

Now, use a sort procedure to rearrange the array into lowest to highest:

code:

procedure Bubble (var x : HighScoreType)                                                               
    var SortedAlready : boolean                                                                         
    var Temp : int                                                                                                                                                   
    var End := 11 %The size of the array                                                                                       
    loop                                                                                               
        SortedAlready := true                                                                           
        for i : 1 .. End - 1                                                                                                                                               
            if x (i) > x (i + 1) then                                                                   
                SortedAlready := false                                                                 
                Temp := x (i)                                                                           
                x (i) := x (i + 1)                                                                     
                x (i + 1) := Temp                                                                       
            end if
        end for
        End -= 1                                                                                       
        exit when SortedAlready or End = 1                                                             
    end loop
end Bubble

This procedure looks complicated but all it does is sort the array.

Now, put to file only the first 10 elements. (This is why the End variable is set to 10)

code:

procedure PutToFile (Scores : HighScoreType)                                                               
    var HighScoreFile : int     
    var End:= 10                                                                           
    open : HighScoreFile, "High_Score.txt", put                                                             
    for i : 1 .. 10                                                                                         
        put : HighScoreFile, Scores (i)                                                                     
    end for
    close : HighScoreFile                                                                                   
end PutToFile

This of course only puts the first 10 elements and drops the 11th. No fuss.

I have found this technique to be rock solid and have had no problems with it. If you have any questions or can think of a much better way to do the same thing then speak up! Very Happy
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
NikG

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Pretty good!
It seems so logical now that you've shown it.

Edit: +5 bits
Cervantes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:27 pm   Post subject: Re: Another Highscore Technique

Thanks for the concise tutorial. Smile

GregLP wrote:

code:

procedure Bubble (var x : HighScoreType)                                                               
    var SortedAlready : boolean                                                                         
    var Temp : int                                                                                                                                                   
    var End := 11 %The size of the array                                                                                       
    loop                                                                                               
        SortedAlready := true                                                                           
        for i : 1 .. End - 1                                                                                                                                               
            if x (i) > x (i + 1) then                                                                   
                SortedAlready := false                                                                 
                Temp := x (i)                                                                           
                x (i) := x (i + 1)                                                                     
                x (i + 1) := Temp                                                                       
            end if
        end for
        End -= 1                                                                                       
        exit when SortedAlready or End = 1                                                             
    end loop
end Bubble

A few things, here.

1. A bubble sort can be used to sort just about anything, not just the 11 elements in your high score list. Don't hardcode the value 11 into the variable 'End'.
  2. Every naming convention I've seen uses lower case letters at the beginning of variables. Things beginning with an upper case letter are usually constants or classes or modules.
  3. Why the loop and the boolean?
    zylum wrote:

code:

procedure swap (var list : array 1 .. * of int, i, j : int)
        const temp := list (i)
        list (i) := list (j)
        list (j) := temp
    end swap
    procedure bubbleSort (var list : array 1 .. * of int)
        for j : 1 .. upper(list) - 1
            const last := upper(list) - j + 1
            for k : 1 .. last - 1
                if list (k) > list (k + 1) then
                    swap (list, k, k + 1)
                end if
            end for
        end for
    end bubbleSort

Edit: Can't spell.
[Gandalf]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:51 am   Post subject: (No subject)

This is actually the thread that prompted me to post my High Scores Class.

Note that you do not need a sorting algorithm for high scores, as long as the scores are sorted when they are first created. You only need to check if the new score was higher than a previous score, if so replace it and move all the other scores down one slot.

Yes, shameless plug. =)
   Index -> Programming, Turing -> Turing Tutorials
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicRate TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: