Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 games/graphics?
Index -> Programming, Ruby -> Ruby Help
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Saad85

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:01 pm   Post subject: games/graphics?

how good is ruby for making games? i mean, graphical games, not text based ones. i seriously hope there is an easy way to make graphical games in ruby cuz i love the whole oo thing. could any1 point me to any program/tutorial for this?

also, is there any hope for those that are complete noobs to opengl, so that we may make some 3d objects?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
rdrake

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:40 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

If you wish to go GUI programming, then it's not too bad to get into. Most major toolkits have bindings for Ruby, but the one that's usually included is tk. If you need anything more than that (which anything advanced probably will), there's always FXRuby.

As for graphics programming... that's not usually something you use Ruby for. Although you could. I know you can use SDL with Ruby to access hardware and such, but don't ask me how.

Really, I just use Ruby for general things, anything text-based, and web apps. If you try hard enough, you can make Ruby do pretty much anything.
Tony

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:50 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Ruby is great for object oriented design, and as such I feel i that Ruby would make a great programming language for simulations. If you're concerned more with how objects interact than about the polygon count - Ruby will make a great tool. If it's a simple CG animation and you're looking for as many polygons to cram in as you can, C is a better bet.

That being said, Tcl/Tk allow you for simple GUI, and there are OpenGL bindings for Ruby if you're looking for some 3D action.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Saad85

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:28 am   Post subject: (No subject)

thx, but can you guys link me to a place that will show me how to use that stuff?
wtd

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:13 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

http://rubygame.seul.org
http://www.fxruby.org/
   Index -> Programming, Ruby -> Ruby Help
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 5 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: