Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB
Computer Science Canada 
Programming C, C++, Java, PHP, Ruby, Turing, VB  

Username:   Password: 
 RegisterRegister   
 applying to university
Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Printable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic
Fonzie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:52 pm   Post subject: applying to university

I'm applying to university this year but I've run into a problem. When I went to apply to U of T there was a section on the application called "subject of major interest". There are 6 choices: computer sci joint mathematics, computer sci joint physics, computer sci joint statistics, computer sci-comprehensive, information systems, and software engineering. I don't know what any of those mean. I've looked high and low and cannot find a description of these things (with the exception of software engineer). So can anyone tell me what these things mean, or tell me if what I pick now can easily be changed later?
Sponsor
Sponsor
Sponsor
sponsor
Tony

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:08 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

What kind of computer science are you interested in doing?

For example I imagine that the one joint with physics will also offer courses in the latter, with emphasis on building physics game engines and such. I haven't applied to UofT CS, so I don't know for sure.

Waterloo's CS first year is common (I think) so it is easy to switch between CS alternatives here.
Latest from compsci.ca/blog: Tony's programming blog. DWITE - a programming contest.
Bobrobyn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 11:26 am   Post subject: (No subject)

You don't have to choose what you're majoring in at U of T the first year, though for physics and one other thing, in order to get into the joint stream you have to take physics (or whatever that other thing was, can't remember) first year.

So basically, just put what you're most interested in at this point. That's what I did. It doesn't effect what you'll be taking, though Im' not sure if it will effect your getting accepted or not. I'll say I doubt it *shrugs*

*note: I also applied to several other universities and this was the only one that I had to specify what I'm interested in.

~Bob
Hikaru79

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:00 pm   Post subject: (No subject)

Yeah, I saw the same thing. I picked "COMP SCI COMPREHENSIVE" because I took "comprehensive" to mean "lots of unadultered comp sci". Was I correct in my assumption? Laughing
   Index -> Student Life
View previous topic Tell A FriendPrintable versionDownload TopicSubscribe to this topicPrivate MessagesRefresh page View next topic

Page 1 of 1  [ 4 Posts ]
Jump to:   

Style:  
Search: