----------------------------------- goboenomo Thu Oct 13, 2005 11:22 am Learning C++ ----------------------------------- Im going into programming in college and one of the classes is Introduction to C++ I wanted to get a head start by reading over some of the C++ books.. I wanted to know if it would be easier to learn Java before trying C++ or if it does not matter. I am in a programming class in high school using Java. ----------------------------------- wtd Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:04 pm ----------------------------------- The syntaxes are superficially similar, but they're rather different languages semantically. Why don't you read the tutorials here, and if you have questions, ask them. ----------------------------------- [Gandalf] Thu Oct 13, 2005 3:01 pm ----------------------------------- You can always go on our IRC channel, irc.afternet.org #compsci.ca where you will probably get some help from anyone around, especially wtd :). *1000th Post :dance: * ----------------------------------- goboenomo Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:01 pm ----------------------------------- congrats hah i looked a some C++ actually so far it seems easier then Java ----------------------------------- [Gandalf] Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:36 pm ----------------------------------- Sure, you don't have all that Object-oriented overhead... It is harder, more complicated though, just wait till you get into pointers/OOP/namespaces/blah. Besides, I'm sure that if you post some of your code someone will find something quite wrong with it. ----------------------------------- md Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:52 pm ----------------------------------- "]Sure, you don't have all that Object-oriented overhead... It is harder, more complicated though, just wait till you get into pointers/OOP/namespaces/blah. Besides, I'm sure that if you post some of your code someone will find something quite wrong with it. Indeed, finding things wrong with others code is what wtd is best at :D (j/k). Learning C++ isn't that much harder then any other language, the problem is that other languages generally provide nice graphics libraries, which C++ does not... and unfortunately it seems that the first thing everyone does when they try and learn a new language is write a game. Of course once you get into pointers and namespaces and things like that C++ can get a wee bit more complicated... but those are things which can safely put off learning until you've mastered the really hard things like functions (my god people learning turning seem to have a hard time with that one...), and *gasp* even classes! ----------------------------------- goboenomo Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:52 pm ----------------------------------- "]Sure, you don't have all that Object-oriented overhead... It is harder, more complicated though, just wait till you get into pointers/OOP/namespaces/blah. Besides, I'm sure that if you post some of your code someone will find something quite wrong with it. i wouldnt say there would be anything "wrong" with it... just other ways to do it... to save time and space... really it's just promting the user ... doing a calculation... and outputting the info... ----------------------------------- wtd Sun Oct 30, 2005 6:04 pm ----------------------------------- "]Sure, you don't have all that Object-oriented overhead... It is harder, more complicated though, just wait till you get into pointers/OOP/namespaces/blah. C++ has plenty of OOP overhead. Ever written the following? cout