----------------------------------- GlobeTrotter Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:35 pm Convert a MultiLine textbox Into strings for each line ----------------------------------- I want to be able to have the user enter some data into a multiline textbox, and then seperate each line into a string, stored in an array. This is what I have so far, but it doesn't really work. Dim iCount As Integer Dim TempStr() As String Dim TempMarker As Integer Dim TempCount As Integer TempMarker = 1 For iCount = 1 To Len(txtInput.Text) - 1 If InStr(Mid(txtInput.Text, iCount, 2), vbNewLine) Then TempCount = TempCount + 1 ReDim TempStr(TempCount) TempStr(TempCount) = Mid(txtInput.Text, TempMarker, iCount - TempMarker) TempMarker = iCount End If Next iCount ----------------------------------- Brightguy Mon May 02, 2005 8:08 pm Re: Convert a MultiLine textbox Into strings for each line ----------------------------------- A couple little things: -Use the Preserve keyword after ReDim to keep the data in the array when you resize it -TempMarker represents the start of the next line, so it should be set to iCount + 2 (to skip the new line character) -There isn't a new line character at the end of the text, so you'll have to add the last line into the array when the loop finishes -You don't need to use the InStr function... simply check if Mid(txtInput.Text, iCount, 2) is the new line character ----------------------------------- GlobeTrotter Mon May 02, 2005 8:48 pm ----------------------------------- Thanks a lot, I got it working. i have a question about it though... If Mid(txtInput.Text, iCount, 2) = vbNewLine Then How does that line work? It's checking if a string of length 2 is equal to vbNewLine, which I assume is one character. How does that work? ----------------------------------- Brightguy Thu May 05, 2005 9:22 am Re: Convert a MultiLine textbox Into strings for each line ----------------------------------- I normally use vbCrLf for new lines, which is two characters: carriage return + linefeed. I thought vbNewLine was the same as vbCrLf, although after checking the VB help files, apparently vbNewLine is a platform-specific new line character, and sometimes doesn't include the linefeed character.