----------------------------------- Drakain Zeil Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:33 am CCC 05 ----------------------------------- It's coming around the 22nd, who's going to write it? (I didn't see any other topics on this, if there is close this) ----------------------------------- zylum Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:14 pm ----------------------------------- i thought its march 1st... hopefully this time i make stage 2... ----------------------------------- Martin Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:18 pm ----------------------------------- Not me. I don't qualify. ----------------------------------- Drakain Zeil Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:05 pm ----------------------------------- i thought its march 1st... hopefully this time i make stage 2...I have the papers from the past few years, back to '01, they all seem to be the last Tuesday of every Febuary. ----------------------------------- zylum Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:20 pm ----------------------------------- http://contest-cemc.uwaterloo.ca/ccc/ tuesday march 1st 2005 ----------------------------------- Drakain Zeil Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:08 pm ----------------------------------- I blame the leap year :P ----------------------------------- thegoose Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:47 pm ----------------------------------- It's definitely March the 1st. We also have a case of foreign invasion this year. See: http://cemc.uwaterloo.ca/ccc/2005_2/HongKong.shtml GO CANADA! (anybody want to place bets?) ----------------------------------- bugzpodder Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:45 pm ----------------------------------- i know one of the HK guys who is REALLY REALLY GOOD and if he participates, i think he will beat everyone in Canada. I will try to ask him to participate, thanks Richard for the link. ----------------------------------- Tony Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:26 am ----------------------------------- Not me. I don't qualify. A lot of us don't. :lol: Could somebody make sure to keep a copy of the questions and post them up here after the contest? ----------------------------------- thegoose Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:59 am ----------------------------------- i know one of the HK guys who is REALLY REALLY GOOD and if he participates, i think he will beat everyone in Canada. Bring it on. For the record, we owned them at the IOI. (420,360,300,290):(405,305,NM,NM), NM=no medal Could somebody make sure to keep a copy of the questions and post them up here after the contest? Sure...I'll take care of that. Do you also want solutions? ----------------------------------- Tony Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:11 pm ----------------------------------- Could somebody make sure to keep a copy of the questions and post them up here after the contest? Sure...I'll take care of that. Do you also want solutions? Thx. Could somebody else keep this in mind for the redundancy though? And yeah - solutions too, but separate. I want users to be able to try the problems out on their own, and submit/discuss different approaches to the problems. ----------------------------------- bugzpodder Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:54 pm ----------------------------------- i know one of the HK guys who is REALLY REALLY GOOD and if he participates, i think he will beat everyone in Canada. Bring it on. For the record, we owned them at the IOI. (420,360,300,290):(405,305,NM,NM), NM=no medal wow! who got 420?? must be a genious!! ----------------------------------- Aidin Kashigar Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:55 pm ----------------------------------- wow! who got 420?? must be a genious!! lol. as if you haven't seen the IOI scores before. so, any predictions on the last problem this year? ----------------------------------- Tony Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:14 pm ----------------------------------- well if the contest is anything like last year's, you'd have to ask your teacher and the guy next to you in an attempt to understand the question :lol: and my guess is: recursive algorithm :think: ----------------------------------- thegoose Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:26 pm ----------------------------------- and my guess is: recursive algorithm :think: Doubt they'll put pruning, since the solution will either a). takes too much skill. b). be too straight foward. c). solvable using a random algorithm. Betting on 4 being graphic theory (not graphics) and 5 being DP again. They might put 2-SAT/flow but I don't think Gord will be that evil (at least not on stage 1). ----------------------------------- Tony Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:29 pm ----------------------------------- ether way you can count on not learning that in school (unless you're in Massey ofcourse) :lol: ----------------------------------- zylum Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:50 pm ----------------------------------- generally how many people sovle the senior 4 and 5? what score does it usually take to get to stage 2? ----------------------------------- Tony Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:12 pm ----------------------------------- last year's [url=http://contest-cemc.uwaterloo.ca/ccc/2004/stage1/2004.result.pdf]results might be of interest Generally top 20~25 senior scores advance to stage 2. The required score fluctuates by year. In 2004 it had to be over 45 (out of 75) and unless my math is off.. out of 623 participants 52 people have scored more than 0 on problem 4 38 people have scored more than 0 on problem 5 ----------------------------------- thegoose Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:26 pm ----------------------------------- Generally top 20~25 senior scores advance to stage 2. The required score fluctuates by year. In 2004 it had to be over 45 (out of 75) Generally, if you can hit 60, you're almost guarantteed to go to stage 2. The cutoff is usually in the mid-50s, last year was an exception because space turtle threw many of the serious practicing people off (I never saw something like that on other Olympiads before). I hope Donny don't make any problems this year. It's quite funny that for the past few years, 4 was a harder problem compared to 5. (DP vs. ugly 3D-geo for 04, modifiedMST/dijkastra vs. suffix tree for 03) ----------------------------------- bugzpodder Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:19 pm ----------------------------------- wow! who got 420?? must be a genious!! lol. as if you haven't seen the IOI scores before. so, any predictions on the last problem this year? spoiling the fun ;) I am just trying to make richard feel better about himself by boosting his ego (he hasnt got over a sore USACO score two months ago...). i pity him for what he is. =.=; dont take this the wrong way richard... but i think you really need to lighten up a bit ----------------------------------- Aidin Kashigar Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:18 pm ----------------------------------- spoiling the fun ;) I am just trying to make richard feel better about himself by boosting his ego (he hasnt got over a sore USACO score two months ago...). i pity him for what he is. =.=; dont take this the wrong way richard... but i think you really need to lighten up a bit Another interesting post. Might as well be removed by one of the moderators to avoid a flame war. ----------------------------------- thegoose Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:52 pm ----------------------------------- Another interesting post. Might as well be removed by one of the moderators to avoid a flame war. lol....Aidin, HE IS THE MODERATOR...I think... you got the solution for USACO Feb no.1 (Jersey politics, the crazy DP one) yet? ----------------------------------- Aidin Kashigar Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:14 pm ----------------------------------- no. I haven't. but I got the Aggressive Cows without a timeout. What about secret? Do you have the code for a flow alg that would run in time? ----------------------------------- thegoose Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:53 am ----------------------------------- I have O(TE+ElogE), but with a pretty big constant. I'm still trying to reduce the constant. It turned out that the algorithm I used was right, I just forgot to sort the edges by increase value in the edge graph. :( ----------------------------------- zylum Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:45 pm ----------------------------------- CCC tomorrow... goodluck everyone! there's a high probablity there will be a snow day for me tomorrow. will they postpone it if there is? ----------------------------------- Paul Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:22 pm ----------------------------------- Oy, can someone please please explain to me the purpose of the first for loop in the main procedure of the quicksort algorithm? Is it something that does nothing for the first iteration? ----------------------------------- Bacchus Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:43 pm ----------------------------------- hhmm... me think i dont stand a chance in hell in this contest :shock: ne who good luck to all (dont beat me to bad :P) ----------------------------------- we64 Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:50 pm ----------------------------------- don't know if you guys heard of dynamic programming.. it has been used intensively in the contest for the last 2 questions... recursive can do it but just take too long and not efficient.. ----------------------------------- zylum Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:53 pm ----------------------------------- 20-30cm of snow overnight in my area :x school buses will definetly be cancled... i guess ill have to take transit which normally takes me an hour to get to school, tomorrow will probably take 2 hours :? all this just for the CCC ----------------------------------- Bacchus Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:23 pm ----------------------------------- ya we're getting a bunch of snow here to, hopefully it wont be that much in the morning ----------------------------------- Hikaru79 Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:01 am ----------------------------------- Today's the big day! Contest will be written in about 5 hours for me... GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! :D :D :D ----------------------------------- Drakain Zeil Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:55 pm ----------------------------------- Just wrote the Junor one today... saddly, I didn't do anywhere as well as I should have, or thought I would have. Of the 5 questions, I only got the first three... However, I did them about 15 minutes each, and got them all. So there I was, opend to number four... and spent about 2 hours on the thing. I have no idea why it took so long... well, yes I do. I coded it poorly, made two checking systems at once without knowing it, and couldn't seperate them easily without more errors cropping up. Oh well. ----------------------------------- azndragon Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:29 pm ----------------------------------- Just wrote the senior one. Is it just me, or is it insanely easy this year? Question 1 was simple if statements and string manipulation, 2 was simple if statements (I made a simple game using the same concepts), question 3 was the only one I couldn't do. Not too sure if my method for question 4 is correct, but it worked for a few test cases I made up, and question 5 was pretty easy as well. Hope I do well, but can't get my hopes too high :P ----------------------------------- nate Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:34 pm ----------------------------------- I wrote senoir 2day as well. I got all 5 questions for the test cases they showed so who knows how well i did. But i agree the questions were easy the top 20 people will probably all have 75 points. ----------------------------------- bugzpodder Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:38 pm ----------------------------------- deleted ----------------------------------- Hikaru79 Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:15 pm ----------------------------------- May we start posting solutions? Or is there a minimum waiting time before we can start discussing the contest in detail, like there is for a lot of math contests? I'm interested in seeing a lot of the solutions for some of these.. :) ----------------------------------- Tony Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:18 pm ----------------------------------- Please wait until the end of the week. Some schools have not yet written the contest due to snow conditions. ----------------------------------- Bacchus Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:33 pm ----------------------------------- all i can saw is: i probably failed soooo bad. i ont work that well under pressure with time limit lol spacially for programming ----------------------------------- bugzpodder Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:09 pm ----------------------------------- Please wait until the end of the week. Some schools have not yet written the contest due to snow conditions. good point ----------------------------------- AsianSensation Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:40 pm ----------------------------------- trust me, question 5 is not as easy as you think. I helped marked the whole contest afterward with Mr.Mckenzie, and trust me. Question 5 is probably the hardest question on that contest to get full marks on. 4 was pretty hard, but if you know the algorithm, you are all set. 3 was actually pretty easy if you didn't get jumbled up. 2 was easy. 1 was easy. ----------------------------------- Hikaru79 Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:55 pm ----------------------------------- 3 was actually pretty easy if you didn't get jumbled up. When Friday rolls along, I really wanna see question 3... I didn't even understand what it was asking. ******** were an entirely new concept to me, and trying to learn it from scratch from their vague instructions was too much for me :( I think I did well on every question *besides* that one though, so it's still OK... but I am still curious about #3. ----------------------------------- AsianSensation Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:00 pm ----------------------------------- yeah, just to let you guys know, the highest from our school is 46. It wasn't as easy as some people thought it were. ----------------------------------- Andy Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:00 pm ----------------------------------- well as in below 30?... we all generally did prety bad... my number three was supposed to work perfectly.. but it messed up... wtf..... ----------------------------------- Andy Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:05 pm ----------------------------------- what do you guys think the cut off for stage two will be this year?? high 40s again? ----------------------------------- Hikaru79 Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:10 pm ----------------------------------- yeah, just to let you guys know, the highest from our school is 46. It wasn't as easy as some people thought it were. We finished marking all of them? ----------------------------------- zylum Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:19 pm ----------------------------------- wtf? #5 was easy as hell... obviously you dont just loop to find the rank... well im not going to give the answer but i believe you just do something that starts with binary and rhymes with earch... :wink: first 2 were easy... seeing as i couldnt install java on the computers (i tried but not enough drive space) i had to use turing so 3 was tricky... i ended up using 2d arrays of size 1024x1024... im not sure whether its correct but it passed the two sample cases. ----------------------------------- Drakain Zeil Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:08 am ----------------------------------- I'll post up my answers to 1, 2 and 3 for the jr contest on Friday. ----------------------------------- VC Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:06 am ----------------------------------- Hey... about S5. A couple of us stayed after school to mark it the other day; what's interesting is that there are three test cases (of the 10) that threw everyone's algorithms off (one of which, I believe, resulted in a negative answer for our output!!!). So, what's interesting then... the markers expect the S5 program to give output within one minute of running time - I was sitting there marking mine, and the output came up at 59 seconds of run time (heh). Oh wait, but that answer was wrong... :( To anyone who has already gotten theirs marked, do your teachers allow you to hard-code/brute-force a program to yield specific output? I mean like, do your teachers not deduct the marks you could get for anticipating the exact input file in the example being used in the test case, and then just having a program output exactly what it wants...? Jes wondering... ----------------------------------- bugzpodder Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:57 pm ----------------------------------- obviously there was no way to get your hands on the data unless you cheat. besides your program gets sent in to waterloo if you make stage 2, and you'll get disqualified when they look at your program. ----------------------------------- person Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:48 pm ----------------------------------- ill post the answers for j5 on friday j4 was f***ing hard i spent 50 minutes on it and still didnt know where to start ----------------------------------- Drakain Zeil Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:09 pm ----------------------------------- j5 is the one I should have done instead. For j4 I made a 2-d array of 0s and 1s, then a "movement" to ones for as many steps to the most clockwise position (by doing a if, elsif, end if selection) and if no movement can be made, or you are out of steps, then exit and give your position on the grid of 0s and 1s. Saddly, I ran into a few errors, and could either get a wrong number (bad logic, fixed it), move nowhere (I was running my checks backwards), or only moved a maximum of 2 spaces... then I ran out of time. :? ----------------------------------- Andy Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:46 pm ----------------------------------- for some reason c++ wont allow you to have two d arrays with sizes over 512 by 512.... and my number three messed up... dunno why but it did.. damn... and holy crap.. who the hell said it was easy to do s5... did you look at the datas??? they're frigging huge... no way you can calculate it in 1 min unless you used some sort of binary search ----------------------------------- thegoose Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:34 pm ----------------------------------- No.5 was actually a well-known problem (if you have looked at foreigh Olympiads). The solution that I think the creaters of the problem had in mind was NlogN. I will put up my solution which ran for