----------------------------------- Ravage Thu May 01, 2003 12:04 pm Bandwidth Problem ----------------------------------- Will we have the same problem this month? How much are you paying for what you have? And whats it cost for unlimited bandwidth? ----------------------------------- Tony Thu May 01, 2003 12:14 pm ----------------------------------- I hope that we will not run into this problem again. Although honestly I donno since I'm expecting bandwidth useage to rise as we get closer to finals. (help with projects, studing for exams, etc). Right now we're paying $12 a year for hosting so we'll probly double our plan when the need arises (probably September) Unlimited bandwidth costs around $25 a month (which is twice as much as we pay a year) All of you can make a difference by not using up as much bandwidth. ----------------------------------- Office of the Registar Thu May 01, 2003 1:55 pm ----------------------------------- how come the site is eating that much bandwitdth? ----------------------------------- Blade Thu May 01, 2003 3:04 pm ----------------------------------- ppl uploading and downloading compiled programs takes a lot! thats why i said that you should get a different server for that stuffs ----------------------------------- Asok Thu May 01, 2003 4:14 pm ----------------------------------- agreed, if we could whore an ftp it'd ease up the bandwidth, so if your school has an ftp, instead of uploading your program to the server, give us the ftp link (the ftp must accept anonymous logins for us to access it) If anyone is a host of an FTP and would like to contribute as a mirror please contact myself, tony, or dan via PM. ----------------------------------- Prince Thu May 01, 2003 5:03 pm ----------------------------------- how would u do that? hosting ftp thingy ----------------------------------- Tony Thu May 01, 2003 5:06 pm ----------------------------------- meaning that instead of uploading your programs to the site, you upload it to some other server... such as your school's FTP for example and give us a link to that. ----------------------------------- Blade Thu May 01, 2003 5:54 pm ----------------------------------- why dont you guys upload to angelfire or something? ----------------------------------- void Thu May 01, 2003 6:36 pm ----------------------------------- ummmm........are you guys looking for a virtual ftp or a non virtual host....coz....i have a linux box at home right now that i was gonna use ta host my own site...but it doesnt seem to be undergoing creation anytime soon.....i could use that (no promises)....or if your looking for a virtual one...streamload has alot of offers....or you could sign up for a yahoo briefcase (30 megs of free space) and make it a public account (one program on turing cant be more than like 10 KB!!....unless you made like a recreation of DUKE3D...which is prolly the best as 3D can get on turing (in fact i dont even think thats possible))... and most of your proggy's are like 2-10 KB...so yea...that might last for a while until you get a good offer....(and yahoo briefcase doesnt have and upload/download limit....5MB max file-size limit, 5 uploads at one time...and if you made it publicly accesible then everyone could upload/download...other wise...you can have ppz send it via e-mail.... you can check to make sure it is a working program and not just some scam to waste space...and then post it with authors name and other $hit.....my two cents......(if you get 3 more cents you can buy a tootsey roll @ my skool cafeteria) ----------------------------------- Dan Thu May 01, 2003 6:49 pm ----------------------------------- ftp site is a good idea but that is olny about 2.5% of our bandwith usage. the rest is the php files wich make up the form. i have plans to either upgrade or chage the files so they use less bandwith. ----------------------------------- Tony Thu May 01, 2003 6:53 pm ----------------------------------- we should probly start a poll on how important visual design of the forum is. Because there's a $h1tload of bandwidth wasted on fonts or some other crap. Half the page is in the header :shock: ----------------------------------- Asok Thu May 01, 2003 6:57 pm ----------------------------------- just as long as we can keep the avatars! lol, I wouldn't like to downgrade the forum's appearance, I think either mirroring files (having images uploaded to tripod etc.) or upgrading the bandwidth is a better path to go ----------------------------------- Tony Thu May 01, 2003 7:01 pm ----------------------------------- avatars have nothing to do with bandwidth. All users (other then myself and dan) link to offsite avatars. And I dont really like the idea of downgrading the appearance ether. I'll see how much bandwidth we will use up today and post my thoughts on it tomorrow. ----------------------------------- Martin Thu May 01, 2003 8:20 pm ----------------------------------- Tony, I can get you unlimited bandwidth and like a gig of storage for 15 bucks canadian a month ----------------------------------- Tony Thu May 01, 2003 9:07 pm ----------------------------------- great! lets go steal a block of lottery tickets and hope for a winner, cuz I dont have that much money :? ----------------------------------- Blade Thu May 01, 2003 11:02 pm ----------------------------------- 15 bucks a month is pretty cool... if these ppl here really like the forums, they'd prolly help us get the host... i would :P ----------------------------------- Asok Fri May 02, 2003 6:34 am ----------------------------------- well I'm sure we *can* set up a donation system via paypal and via mail due to the fact that we're all in Canada. ----------------------------------- Office of the Registar Fri May 02, 2003 8:25 am ----------------------------------- can't we just get rid of the previous threads:?: ----------------------------------- Tony Fri May 02, 2003 12:10 pm ----------------------------------- that would save "space" which we have tons of. Well 200Mbs to be exact, but the forum with all the posts and files attached takes up just 20. ----------------------------------- element Fri May 02, 2003 10:31 pm ----------------------------------- how bout making a public Yahoo! Briefcase for future uploads? :wink: ----------------------------------- Tony Fri May 02, 2003 10:38 pm ----------------------------------- thx for your sujestions guys - that really means a lot to us... (well me atleast). But the problem lies in PHP files, not user submitions. Last month we got... I donno, I think it was 25,000+ page requests. And that piles up. Taking an 80K PHP file as an example, that already generates 2,000 MB of traffic. ----------------------------------- poppa Sat May 03, 2003 2:55 pm ----------------------------------- Tony, I can get you unlimited bandwidth and like a gig of storage for 15 bucks canadian a month Darkness What web host has that price? I am curious. I believe that they best way to deal with this bandwidth problem is to just upgrade or find someone who will host you for free inexchange for maybe a banner. Why don't you guys try http://sourceforge.net/ for hosting yor itty bitty files? ----------------------------------- Dan Sun May 04, 2003 9:15 pm ----------------------------------- the problem with the free host is that they ushley have even less banwith and those adds can relay piss you off. we curntley have a few ideas on what to do. ----------------------------------- Homer_simpson Sun May 04, 2003 9:32 pm ----------------------------------- i'm not sure if this is useful but it says unlimited bandwidth =/ http://www.lowesthosting.com/ http://www.hostdesigns.com/hosting.html ----------------------------------- Martin Tue May 06, 2003 8:42 pm ----------------------------------- Nah, my friend has a server in California...OC3 and 20 gig hard drive and all ----------------------------------- Tony Thu May 08, 2003 11:04 pm ----------------------------------- Bandwidth issue update Well the first week has passed since the site got openned again so we have a somewhat accurate info to work with. In 7 days we used up ~700MBs of traffic. Thats 100MB a day * 30 days = 3,000 MBs. :shock: OhOh. Might run into a problem again at the end of the month depending on site load. Just though I'd let you know. ----------------------------------- Delta Fri May 09, 2003 8:41 am ----------------------------------- oh shat not again! I need compsci and my children need wine! ----------------------------------- Prince Fri May 09, 2003 10:43 am ----------------------------------- how much bandwidth do u get per month ----------------------------------- Dan Fri May 09, 2003 10:54 am ----------------------------------- well last moth we used like 2920 mb but that was becuse we closed the site befor it hit 3000 mb. our max is 3000 mb right now but i may upgrade to 6000 mb. ----------------------------------- Office of the Registar Fri May 09, 2003 2:14 pm ----------------------------------- how much does it cost if you go over the limit? ----------------------------------- Dan Fri May 09, 2003 2:56 pm ----------------------------------- i dont think it will cost more but the site will shut totoaly down... ----------------------------------- Blade Fri May 09, 2003 5:41 pm ----------------------------------- for how long? ----------------------------------- Dan Fri May 09, 2003 8:39 pm ----------------------------------- intell next month, so far we are going at an ok rate. hopefully there will be no problems this month. ----------------------------------- octopi Sat May 10, 2003 4:26 pm ----------------------------------- I was just looking at the html source for this site, and I am wondering why you don't put all your css style information into one file, and then just include that file, so that it will be cached my the browser, and you would save about 7.5k / page. I think its something like