----------------------------------- Martin Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:34 pm Waterloo! ----------------------------------- Post here if you're going to University of Waterloo. Go us. ----------------------------------- Genesis Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:55 pm ----------------------------------- I'm not going there...yet. I got one more year of high school. But how hard was it to get in? Like did you have unbelievably high marks? ----------------------------------- Martin Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:35 am ----------------------------------- I had a 98 average...I didn't think I was going to get in, but then along comes the 16th of June and BAM they're like 'Hey, you're in!' I'm only going for english though, I imagine that you'd need a better average for the other programs (like something in math or engineering) ----------------------------------- Genesis Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:54 am ----------------------------------- 98 average...pretty impressive. :clap: Did you take any math or science courses? (Like Physcis, Chem, Algebra, Calculus) 'Cuz uh...I can't see myself getting an average any higher than 98 with those classes. And I would like to go for engineering, maybe computer science. (Oh, and by the way, anyone know of the best computer science programs? At Universities in Ontario? Other than Waterloo.) ----------------------------------- Brightguy Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:33 am Re: Waterloo! ----------------------------------- I'm going to the University of Waterloo in the fall as well. I'll be taking Honours Computational Mathematics, Regular. As for marks, I had 97.5 in my best 6 4U/M credits. Those were all Math/Computer/Science courses. ----------------------------------- Tony Thu Jul 08, 2004 12:59 pm ----------------------------------- :lol: Genesis : don't worry about it... Darkness is just being a jerk. he got low 80s I belive and is going for CS. and I think I have to room with him for a while... *sigh* :roll: ----------------------------------- Genesis Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:09 pm ----------------------------------- Oh really? That's awesome. Haha, I didn't think you could get into Waterloo for CS with low 80's. Well then getting in may not be a problem after all. ----------------------------------- Tony Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:14 pm ----------------------------------- you would need an impressive AIF though, since its right at/(maybe a bit below) cutoff mark :? I know Darkness has gotten quite a bit of additional points for attending Massey since its a prefered school. ----------------------------------- Amailer Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:42 pm ----------------------------------- im going there :lol: ----------------------------------- Genesis Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:45 pm ----------------------------------- Oh, lol, no I have an average in the low 90's, hopefully better next year. So I'm thinking that gives me somewhat of a chance. Haha, ya, my school is very far from a preferred school. They want to get rid of computer science next year...that's not lookin' too good for me. ----------------------------------- Andy Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:00 pm ----------------------------------- im going there :lol: lmao 12 eh? in 6 years maybe... ----------------------------------- Andy Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:00 pm ----------------------------------- darkness got in with his low marks becuase he goes to massey... any massey enriched kid can get into waterloo if they want ----------------------------------- zylum Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:19 pm ----------------------------------- you would need an impressive AIF though, since its right at/(maybe a bit below) cutoff mark :? I know Darkness has gotten quite a bit of additional points for attending Massey since its a prefered school. whats an AIF??? also how do you know what the prefered schools are? i am in enrichement program that my school offers... does that make my school prefered? ----------------------------------- Cervantes Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:35 pm ----------------------------------- me too zylum :D does massey have an "enriched' or a "gifted" program at it? zeldamaster123 is going to waterloo for Honours Computer Science, Co-op. ----------------------------------- Paul Thu Jul 08, 2004 4:42 pm ----------------------------------- darkness got in with his low marks becuase he goes to massey... any massey enriched kid can get into waterloo if they want Any program? or only computer/math related ones? ----------------------------------- AsianSensation Thu Jul 08, 2004 7:29 pm ----------------------------------- I know Massey is one of the prefered schools cause we take every single one of those damn contests they dish out. So if your school is paying them a large sum of money, then I assume your school is "prefered". That, and we have an organized trip to U of Waterloo every year. sad sad school...... ----------------------------------- Tony Thu Jul 08, 2004 11:01 pm ----------------------------------- prefered schools would be those that regularly place in top w/e lists of programming and math contests. Other good ways to score additional points on the AIF (Additional Information Form) is ofcourse to score good on such contests yourself. I belive that they actually have fields to fill out with your scores, and checkmarks for contests you will be taking later that year so that they can monitor your results. A solid reference letter is a plus. I don't remember how detailed computer science form was, but my 6 page engineering AIF included portfolio type of entry for related things. So w/e projects (such as compsci.ca in my case) could also make you stand out. ----------------------------------- Andy Fri Jul 09, 2004 1:14 am ----------------------------------- darkness got in with his low marks becuase he goes to massey... any massey enriched kid can get into waterloo if they want Any program? or only computer/math related ones? why would u go to waterloo for anything else?? its only good for math/enginner/business ----------------------------------- Martin Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:23 pm ----------------------------------- Dude, my average was 86. Not 'low 80s' yeeshh... :evil: I got ~70 on the euclid though, I think that helped a bit. And I'm going for honours computer science (co-op!! w00t), not english. Clearly people, have some more faith in me :P I just proved that I can get through highschool not doing any work, and still get into the program that I wanted to. That's gonna have to stop for university though I think :p It's hilarious. On the university of waterloo forum for people going into first year, there are people saying "Yeah, I got 115 on the euclid." I have a feeling university's not going to be so hard. Fucking wankers. And then they're like..."oh, I got it confused...I thought it was the one out of 150..." Yeah what, the Gauss?! ----------------------------------- Paul Sat Jul 10, 2004 1:31 pm ----------------------------------- Hm... are math contests only important if your going to UW? cause I heard you put your name, and birth date on the application, and the transcript is sent, and I would think only UW cares about the math contests or w/e... ----------------------------------- Martin Sat Jul 10, 2004 2:28 pm ----------------------------------- Most universities look at math contests (if you're going into math that is). It's a much better measure of skill than marks, because marking is subjective. ----------------------------------- Dan Sat Jul 10, 2004 6:01 pm ----------------------------------- How are contests not? since it is just a look at how well u are doing for like one hour or one day of your life. While marks cover a school year. Altougth marks ushely are bised but some times that can be a good thing since the teacher can bost your mark to make it relfect your true skill. ----------------------------------- Tony Sat Jul 10, 2004 8:15 pm ----------------------------------- since the teacher can bost your mark to make it relfect your true skill. or to just make you get into that university... I go to private school :lol: ----------------------------------- bugzpodder Sat Jul 10, 2004 10:14 pm ----------------------------------- 115 on Euclid? LMAO maybe we could make a list of all the people going to waterloo and have there email or msn posted ----------------------------------- Martin Sun Jul 11, 2004 2:11 pm ----------------------------------- Yeah...that puts your 98 last year to shame, eh jack? ----------------------------------- PaddyLong Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:06 am ----------------------------------- the Gonk's where it's at. have fun at your lan parties at waterloo lol ----------------------------------- Tony Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:24 pm ----------------------------------- oh yeah. We're already planning on running UT2004 over reznet untill we get disconnected from it :lol: ----------------------------------- Raugrist Fri Jul 16, 2004 4:52 pm ----------------------------------- But are you going to have unlimited bandwidth on the residence connection? ----------------------------------- Tony Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:38 pm ----------------------------------- umm... as far as my limited understanding goes... something along the lines of 1GB / week :think: I'll let you know in september as soon as we excede their "limits" :lol: ----------------------------------- Martin Sun Jul 18, 2004 6:16 pm ----------------------------------- Day one: Our logs show this student martin has already used 14GB up and down. Kick him out of the school. I flashed the bios on my modem, now cogeco doesn't realize that I use any bandwidth...but uhh...shh...you didnt hear it from me ;) :twisted: ----------------------------------- Martin Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:01 am ----------------------------------- This just in: Hello Everyone: I would like to thank you all for your applications to be an RCC for the fall 2004. We have managed to fill our positions and you have been selected to be an RCC. Our training will be held on the Saturday of Labour Day week end. Move in days will be on Sunday and Monday. We will feed you on Friday evening (BBQ) and breakfast, lunch and supper on Saturday. The training will be held in the Great Hall in Village 1. We will be in touch with you again very soon to give you more information. In the meantime, please let me know if you will be accepting our offer. Thanks. Looking forward to meeting you in the fall! ----------------------------------- greenapplesodaex Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:10 pm reply ----------------------------------- mememememememe! I got in! even though i dont know how that was possible, lol. ----------------------------------- Martin Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:23 pm ----------------------------------- What rez are you staying at? Tony and I are at Beck hall. I'm in room a (or maybe it's b, whatever one he SAYS he has), I don't care what he says. Look at all of the benefits I get for my godly position ;) http://www.housing.uwaterloo.ca/resnet/advantag.htm Free T-Shirt. w00t. ----------------------------------- Paul Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:35 pm ----------------------------------- wtf is an RCC? ----------------------------------- Martin Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:12 pm ----------------------------------- Residence Computer Consultant. I'm my Rez's tech guy. ----------------------------------- Tony Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:40 pm ----------------------------------- this way after I set up a UT2k4 server and break the allowed bandwidth for the entire rez building, I have to answer to my roommate :lol: ----------------------------------- greenapplesodaex Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:07 am Reply ----------------------------------- i'm staying at home ----------------------------------- Martin Wed Jul 28, 2004 11:50 am ----------------------------------- Tsk tsk...no fun. ----------------------------------- Genesis Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:40 pm ----------------------------------- Hey Tony (Or anyone else who got in/applied to Waterloo) what exactly are they looking for on an AIF? Like what can you put on it? ----------------------------------- Tony Wed Jul 28, 2004 8:49 pm ----------------------------------- Genesis : respectable school, math + computer contests and life outside of classroom. For the first one - move to Winsor and attend massey or look up another school that appears a lot in waterloo contest results. For the latter one - just make things up : sports, hobbies, interests.. ----------------------------------- Andy Wed Jul 28, 2004 9:12 pm ----------------------------------- actually, i think all massey enriched ppl auto get in to waterloo's math department ----------------------------------- Martin Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:16 am ----------------------------------- Yeah. I didin't even give them an AIF and I got in ----------------------------------- greenapplesodaex Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:20 am reply ----------------------------------- Tsk tsk...no fun. tsk yourself, by living at home, i'll save money and with the money i save, i'd build funness myself! muahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahaha *cough cough...COUGH COUGH* ----------------------------------- Martin Thu Jul 29, 2004 11:04 am ----------------------------------- True, but being broke is all part of the university experience ;) Plus I hear that my roommate is loaded. ----------------------------------- Tony Thu Jul 29, 2004 2:07 pm ----------------------------------- Darkness : your roommate's *dad* is loaded :roll: and I'm still trying to get him to pay for the university :? greenapplesodaex : unless your home is across the street from the university, you're missing out :P Besides - it's not like your parents will hand over a stack of money to you. They'd probably keep it for themselves to cover rent and your food :lol: Heh, and even if I was offered to keep the money saved, I would still go live at rez (seeing as I got into a really sweet one) :lol: ----------------------------------- Paul Thu Jul 29, 2004 3:19 pm ----------------------------------- I live on a street full of university students :? poor poor toilet paper covered pine trees... ----------------------------------- Martin Thu Jul 29, 2004 4:46 pm ----------------------------------- Point taken.