----------------------------------- junkpro11 Sat May 29, 2004 8:48 pm can you delete a part of a string? ----------------------------------- i want to getch sth then add all the strings together, and if the backspace is pressed, i want to delete watever i recently getch this is my code loop count := count + 1 locate (10, 30 + count) getch (input) exit when input= chr (10) put "-".. if input not=chr(10) and input not=chr (8) then guess:= guess + input end if if input = chr (8) then locate (10, 30 + count - 1) put "" count := count - 2 elsif input = chr (10) then %enter key Music.PlayFile ("select.wav") else guess:=guess end if end loop ----------------------------------- Paul Sat May 29, 2004 8:53 pm ----------------------------------- its like this, you have a string say var word: string:="hello" then if backspace is pressed, then make the word = to this if backspace is pressed then word:=word(1..(length(word)-1)) end if cls put word ----------------------------------- junkpro11 Sat May 29, 2004 9:04 pm ----------------------------------- thanks! ----------------------------------- Paul Sat May 29, 2004 9:07 pm ----------------------------------- lets say u have a string containing "abcde" the first letter of the string, or in the code word(1) is a word(2) is b and so on. The code, when u press backspace it makes the value of the word equal to from the first letter of ur string to the second last letter so if you have abcde the code would reduce it to abcd, when u press backspace ofcourse it would crash when you have nothing left and u still press backspace... so u have to restrict that. length(word) just finds the length and word:=word(1..(length(word)-1)) is basically, word is equal to word from letter one to the second last letter. ----------------------------------- junkpro11 Sat May 29, 2004 9:35 pm ----------------------------------- thanks....i experimented a bit and kinda understood the code. u cleared things up though.. thanks!