----------------------------------- ssikmace Mon Apr 05, 2004 6:55 pm Swap word function ----------------------------------- I need to create a function that will swap the values for two string variables given as the paramaters for the function. It doesnt seem to hard but i just can't get one to work. ----------------------------------- omni Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:23 pm ----------------------------------- wouldn't you create a temporary variable in the procedure to hold one of the values? temp:=value1 value1:=value2 value2:=temp something like that? ----------------------------------- ssikmace Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:40 pm ----------------------------------- Thats what i tried but i couldn't get it to work. ----------------------------------- ssikmace Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:47 pm ----------------------------------- This is what i tried but it argued that the "Left side of Assignment is not a variable" function swap(word1,word2:string):string var temp:string temp:=word1 word1:=word2 word2:=temp end swap ----------------------------------- ssikmace Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:58 pm ----------------------------------- Ok ive fixed the previous problem so far but now how do i get it to have the switched words as my result, because its giving me "Function failed to give a result" function swap (var word1, word2 : string) : string var temp : string temp := word1 word1 := word2 word2 := temp end swap var word1 : string var word2 : string get word1 get word2 put swap (word1, word2) ----------------------------------- Tony Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:03 pm ----------------------------------- result word1 + " " + word2 ? :lol: ----------------------------------- ssikmace Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:11 pm ----------------------------------- lol good enough for me, thx. As long as my variables remain switched. ----------------------------------- Tony Mon Apr 05, 2004 8:29 pm ----------------------------------- well if you're happy with that, why not just use function switch(word1,word2:string) :string return word2 + " " + word1 end switch :lol: