----------------------------------- Martin Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:34 pm Compsci v3 ----------------------------------- Supposing that there was a remote possibility that somebody decided that it might be time for compsci.ca version 3, would you like the interface to be in flash? Note that the forums will still remain in PHP. ----------------------------------- Maverick Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:36 pm ----------------------------------- Hell ya thats a sweet idea! ----------------------------------- Dan Sun Mar 21, 2004 9:44 pm ----------------------------------- Me no like flash, but we shall see how it turns out. I hope it will not make load times to big. ----------------------------------- da_foz Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:09 pm ----------------------------------- Don't do flash. Noobs who are making their first site use flash, I think it gives a bit of a cheap feal. ----------------------------------- Martin Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:30 pm ----------------------------------- Not if it's done right. ----------------------------------- Dan Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:33 pm ----------------------------------- well i think we will have to w8 till the flash verson is done b4 we can realy pic btween them. it is posbale (alougth unlikey if you look at the avg flash site) to make a good flash site. also i dont think martion plans on making the HOLE site in flash just the menus. ----------------------------------- recneps Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:55 pm ----------------------------------- or you could have em both in same folder or whatever (however it works) so when you post/view its reading the post from a common folder, so if you dot like flash you can still use V2 ;) ----------------------------------- Amailer Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:01 pm ----------------------------------- Dear god, compsci will lose 500+ hits if this site turns into a full flash site! ----------------------------------- poly Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:26 pm ----------------------------------- Ya if you go flash, also make a HTML version available cause you will probably loose some people (inless they just stay at forums)....but anyway on version 3 get rid of the NUke setup on main page ----------------------------------- jonos Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:27 pm ----------------------------------- NUKE setup? this uses PHPBB not PHPNuke. if you mean the flash screen on the first page you come to, then use it should be trashed, and just let the person be redirected tot he main page. ----------------------------------- Amailer Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:36 pm ----------------------------------- Ya if you go flash, also make a HTML version available cause you will probably loose some people (inless they just stay at forums)....but anyway on version 3 get rid of the NUke setup on main page This site doesn't use PHPNuke (that damm project has 1000 errors on it's on site :S). It uses a phpbb portal from phpbbhacks i think, and why get rid of it? ----------------------------------- Martin Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:38 pm ----------------------------------- Speaking of hits, we're at 662...we were at 1000 once! ----------------------------------- Paul Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:44 pm ----------------------------------- No flash please! It would take forever to load... Im on a tight time budget. ----------------------------------- Mazer Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:44 am ----------------------------------- Wow. People actually go to the main page then? What is there to see there? I always skip to the forums so you could go ahead and make the entire main page in flash (you can make it look really ugly) and I wouldn't mind a bit. ----------------------------------- PaddyLong Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:26 pm ----------------------------------- flash sites bother me ----------------------------------- wtd Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:53 pm ----------------------------------- You'd be better off fixing any little niggling errors in the forum code. ----------------------------------- poly Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:58 pm ----------------------------------- its a hack? okay well it looks pretty damn close to a nuke site ----------------------------------- Delos Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:15 pm ----------------------------------- 42 eh...hehehe, mustn't forget our Guides now must we. And flash? Naw...slow down the site...still quite a few 56Kers around. You want an improvement? How about the new links on the homepage...instead of them opening the new site in the same window, open in a new window. Will save the hassle of having to click 'Back'. ----------------------------------- Paul Wed Mar 24, 2004 6:36 pm ----------------------------------- 42 eh...hehehe, mustn't forget our Guides now must we. And flash? Naw...slow down the site...still quite a few 56Kers around. OMG Im switching to 56K soon, so keep it flash free. ----------------------------------- jonos Wed Mar 24, 2004 7:08 pm ----------------------------------- why are you switching downwards? ----------------------------------- the_short1 Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:48 pm ----------------------------------- no flash please.. it would be slow... on computer not for net tho... got cable... aslo i agree remove the intro page and just go directly to main page... also there is a stupid script error 'drops' undifined.... and its anoying when i at school cuz they have it to pop those up ----------------------------------- Delos Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:14 pm ----------------------------------- aslo i agree remove the intro page and just go directly to main page... Well, you could always add compsci.ca to your favourites, under this address: www.compsci.ca/mx/ ----------------------------------- the_short1 Thu Mar 25, 2004 12:22 pm ----------------------------------- at school i always type it out.... at home i just pres 'ego search' icon on desktop to find all new posts in my threads...' it would be cool if that intro page was a .gif and smaller , and have it as the link button... isntead of that dark blue one.... meh! ----------------------------------- naoki Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:51 pm ----------------------------------- i don't really know much about flash programming, but would making the menus and whatever be better in the long run? would there be a greater chance of customization and cool little things? if it turns out to be the same as before (except with the extra effort and loading time), with no new features, then i say no. ----------------------------------- jonos Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:12 pm ----------------------------------- unless there could be a way to choose if you wanted html vs flash ... ----------------------------------- Dan Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:21 pm ----------------------------------- i don't really know much about flash programming, but would making the menus and whatever be better in the long run? would there be a greater chance of customization and cool little things? if it turns out to be the same as before (except with the extra effort and loading time), with no new features, then i say no. aucaly flash whould make it alot harder to update now that i think about it, b/c right now all the menus on the mx page are genreated with php. hummm.... that should be somting darkness takes in to consideration when working on this... ----------------------------------- naoki Fri Mar 26, 2004 5:05 pm ----------------------------------- Then stick with what we've got. it's clean, it's functioning fine, and it gives you what you want. I see no problem with it. I don't think a person looking for help or wanting to share C++ code would be influenced by how cool the animation for the buttons are. ----------------------------------- Hackster Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:02 pm ----------------------------------- naoki said:it's functioning fine umm i had a lot of trouble with signing in and stuff the past few days ... im not blaming the site , it might have been my isp, but it kept asking me to log on when i was already on ... but otherwise keep it the same!! i still have 56K :oops: ----------------------------------- recneps Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:31 pm ----------------------------------- A famous saying is If it ain't broke, dont fix it. Keep that in mind ;) ----------------------------------- Cervantes Sat Mar 27, 2004 12:24 pm ----------------------------------- You want an improvement? How about the new links on the homepage...instead of them opening the new site in the same window, open in a new window. Will save the hassle of having to click 'Back'. or you could just hold shift when you click the link. Or you could get firefox and hold ctrl :wink: ----------------------------------- the_short1 Sat Mar 27, 2004 1:46 pm ----------------------------------- HELL YA@!! FIREFOX DA SHI!T ..... cuz a IE internet explorer window takes up lets say 2MB RAM a peice... and if you have like 10 windows open taht gets to be a lot... whereas a firefox tab takes 1 MB or lower.... per tab... NOTE: TAB is like a new window, but isntead of at the bottom of the screen its all in one window... ----------------------------------- Walker Sat Mar 27, 2004 2:08 pm ----------------------------------- no flash, that would just slow it down and im sure that people come here for the fourms not to look at the main screen and go wow thats one flashy new screen they got